NW Hancock, Saturday, Feb. 23rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
The AMC NW Hancock climb on Saturday, Feb. 23rd went as planned. We had beautiful sunshine most of the day. Our group of four included Sonny M., Ben C., and Dave L. We met quite a few hikers doing the two Hancock 4000 footers. Took the steep(!) trail up No. Hancock (4420'). From there we bushwhacked down 400(+) feet and along the narrow ridge (map red cross) for what seemed a "long mile, alternating thick and open wooded areas, just picking our way through on mostly consolidated snow as best we could. Even used the "50 foot rule" a couple times to circumvent some thick stuff. You'll reach a false summit bump from which one can easily see the higher one beyond. We found an old register jar, roped, wired and strung and a weathered sign about a foot above the snow line. A Dave Langley group in Sept. 2007 was the only entry card there. We put up a replacement jar. Long day ... the trip took 10(+) hours. We came out after dark using headlamps on the Hancock Notch trail.

Topozone MAP Reference

Last edited:
Dennis C. said:
A Dave Langley group in Sept. 2007 was the only entry card there.

That was an AMC map and compass hike. He's working on the grid and is a lot of fun to hike with if you get the chance.

So if you hiked it and your name is no longer there, does it still count? :confused: :p :D

Sure does, Carole! I also found out that this peak has been added to the "Trailwrights 72" 4000 footers. It certainly appears to qualify according to their rules. A Mary N. group of 4 or 5 had inquired about our hike and emailed that they followed our tracks to the NW peak on Sunday (illness postponed).

Dennis C. said:
I also found out that this peak has been added to the "Trailwrights 72" 4000 footers.
Yep, round about when I was there :)

Must be a tougher hike than I thought if this group wound up hiking out in the dark, glad I didn't try it

This peak belonged on the TW72 but was carelessly left off and couldn't be added until the list compiler retired, hopefully in another couple cycles we can get them to boot Lethe which doesn't qualify (not an official name, no col)

Roy, we started later on this hike than planned due to the Friday afternoon and evening snow storm that blanketed MA. If NH had similar conditions, we would have rescheduled. I know you already have this peak Roy ... years ago. What was your approach? ... off the trail from the west? .... bushwhack conditions?

We went in fall not winter, up the "traditional" approach of the SW slide. Just angled down from the summit back to Cedar Brook Trail. Both routes fine but longer BW than from N Pk.