NY hiker clung to tree above Adirondack cliff after sliding hundreds of feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the winter 48s, the only place that I would be concerned is the winter approach from the Kanc to East Osceola, that upper section is quite steep and has the potential to slide. I really cannot think off hand any other NH 4ks that do not have alternative routes to avoid really steep drops.

Of all the winter 48s, the only place that I would be concerned is the winter approach from the Kanc to East Osceola, that upper section is quite steep and has the potential to slide. I really cannot think off hand any other NH 4ks that do not have alternative routes to avoid really steep drops.
We got so annoyed with that section, that the last few winter Osceola hikes we roadwalked Tripoli from Livermore to the summer trailhead. Its usually groomed and an easy walk, chatting with cross country skiers.

There is an updated/alternate article with more detail (Woman survives dangerous fall on South Dix | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise she was off-route when she slipped.

Glad she's OK. ADKs are "small" mountains but you can get in a lot of trouble. I would guess she learned: 1. Don't go out in that kind of weather; 2. Make sure to know the path. We have always avoided "hypothermia weather" regardless of plans made in advance. It's just too dangerous. And the paths in the Dix Range are pretty well worn in and hard to lose, unless there is VERY deep snow. When I saw the first headline, I knew she must have been off path, because there really isn't anywhere on the path on South Dix where you are exposed to that kind of fall. So again, I'm glad she's OK. Cheers to the Rangers, and to the hiker. She now has a good story to tell!

Glad she's OK. ADKs are "small" mountains but you can get in a lot of trouble. I would guess she learned: 1. Don't go out in that kind of weather; 2. Make sure to know the path. We have always avoided "hypothermia weather" regardless of plans made in advance. It's just too dangerous. And the paths in the Dix Range are pretty well worn in and hard to lose, unless there is VERY deep snow. When I saw the first headline, I knew she must have been off path, because there really isn't anywhere on the path on South Dix where you are exposed to that kind of fall. So again, I'm glad she's OK. Cheers to the Rangers, and to the hiker. She now has a good story to tell!
I agree with the philosophy of not going out in that kind of weather. There just isn't a margin for error if you become immobile for any length of time. I have added any day below 12 degrees now as well, it's not fun for me and dangerous for my dog. It's nice to be old and wise now, I suffer a lot less.

I agree with the philosophy of not going out in that kind of weather. There just isn't a margin for error if you become immobile for any length of time. I have added any day below 12 degrees now as well, it's not fun for me and dangerous for my dog. It's nice to be old and wise now, I suffer a lot less.
Jack London's short story, “To Build a Fire,” is the tragic tale of a man who decides to travel alone through the hostile environment of the Yukon in sub-freeing temperatures and falls victim to the unrelenting and unforgiving power of nature….Throughout the story, the dog is described as being in tune with the natural environment. Even though it is protected by the fur the man envies at times, it still knows that the cold is too extreme for travel and hopes that the man will create a fire and shelter.

There is a detailed description on the Adirondack Mountain News facebook page, but I can't figure out how to post the link.

Basically the woman was an experienced hiker on her third round of the ADK 46, she had all the equipment she needed to survive, and she hiked out with her responders. I've been on the same route. She missed her footing by a few inches and fell. It's something that's happened to me, only without such dire consequences.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that AMR interview. I've been on that section of trail. She's an example of bad things happening to experienced people. Very glad to read her account of what was largely a self rescue.

Thanks for posting that AMR interview. I've been on that section of trail. She's an example of bad things happening to experienced people. Very glad to read her account of what was largely a self rescue.
Yes, that was very interesting reading. However, if you have to call 911(and rescuers arrive) I don't think it qualifies as "largely a self rescue".

Last edited: