NYS Parks face closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very disturbing, although I guess not hugely surprising. I just don't get our state's inability to effectively manage resources...even though the price of admission to our parks continues to rise. I'll bet there's no plan to decrease the cost of the Empire Passport, even though it will have less value if parks are closed. How is it that Pennsylvania manages to keep their wonderful parks open without charging admission?

The good news is they're not telling us which parks are on the chopping block, so we don't have to needlessly fret over the fate of our favorite parks. {Insert sarcastic emoticon here.}

I'm pretty confident that the Catskills and the Adirondacks will not be closed. And really, what else is there in NY?!? :p

Just kidding. This is very sad indeed, and I know that the ripple affects will have a distinct impact on the recreational pursuits of the state. Unless the park has seen a huge drop in use, it's sad to see a society's recreational opportunities be cut out.

Lots of nice parks in the Finger Lakes. I think NY did propose closing some state parks inthe Cats and ADK's last year but backed down on at least some of them. Wasn't Sharp Bridge on the list?

These are parks administered by the State Parks and Recreation Dept, NOT the DEC. The campgrounds in the Cats and Adks are administered by the DEC. The DEC is slated for cuts in personnel, but I don't believe there are any proposals to close any campgrounds. At least right at the moment.

We already went through the Campground closure I believe in the spring, before any of the DEC campgrounds opened. NY was going to close Sharp Bridge I think til at the last minute decided not to.

NY State closes parks would mean to me, free to enter!

Jay