Off-season workouts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
While not new to hiking, I am new the VFFT, and not a winter hiker. Since I'm pretty much shut down 'til spring, I'm curious what other non-winter hikers do to stay in shape. I play hockey once or twice a week, and try to run another 2-3 times a week.

Does anyone have a routine they use to stay in hiking condition?

Thanks, Bobby :)

Around this time of year, i start praying for snow. I change from a hiker to a skiier. Downhill skiing mostly, good for maintaining strong quads and hamstrings. Occasionally i will do some x-country skiing when i see my waste expanding too much, normally between the thanksgiving meals and then the x-mas meals. I also like snowshoeing, mostly smaller mountains. I think it's time to switch to a winter avatar in hopes of snow!

In the off-season, I try to day hike as much as possible. I find it hard to deal with the heat and the bugs, but if I can manage to get out once a month I'm happy enough with that. I fortunately have lots of undeveloped land by my house, so I walk that land nightly with my dog.

Oh, and I play a lot of soccer. Twice weekly at the least. That usually keeps me in shape for the season.

;)

Bobby said:
While not new to hiking, I am new the VFFT, and not a winter hiker. Since I'm pretty much shut down 'til spring, I'm curious what other non-winter hikers do to stay in shape. I play hockey once or twice a week, and try to run another 2-3 times a week.

sounds like you got it down already!! i just do 12 ounce curls and hope for the best!!! :D :D :D :D :D
actually, i too would like to start a daily exercise routine,sounds like you're 2 steps ahead of me!!! :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Bobby said:
Since I'm pretty much shut down 'til spring...

:confused: :eek: SHUT DOWN 'TIL SPRING ??? :eek: :confused:

You need a pair of snow shoes and a down bag.
I only hike during the year so I'm in "relative" shape to hike in the winter.

Up until year we also were downhill skiers during the Winter season. Then we got talked into trying a Winter hike - ended up doing a whole bunch more. Try it - you might like it!

Only 2 months to Winter!!!

Off season!

Bobby said:
While not new to hiking, I am new the VFFT, and not a winter hiker. Since I'm pretty much shut down 'til spring, I'm curious what other non-winter hikers do to stay in shape. Does anyone have a routine they use to stay in hiking condition?

I thought summer was the off season for hiking!

Fred

Ya' got the right idea. Doing whatever you can for workouts during the winter is best. Obviously, cardio and leg strength training type activities are best. If your not a member of a gym, you ought to look into it.

I've done less that 10 winter hikes so, I would say that I'm a winter rookie (a wookie?) so I know where you're coming from. It's very important that you try to stay active and not lose the conditioning that you've gained over the past year.

My best advice? Buy a pair of snowshoes and get out when you can. Supplement that with cardio and strength training workouts at the gym. You'll stay strong and in shape while satiating part of the desire to get out.

Note that following this method may eventually lead to your becoming a year round hiker (like me)... not that that's a bad thing! :D

My off-season usually starts on Monday :( and ends on Saturday. :) Sometimes I get lucky and it ends on thursday. :D

I usually run during the off season.

Off-Season Workouts

I'm lucky to have access to a weight room and cardio room. I supervise/instruct the rooms for the local high school My favorites are the arc trainer and the rotating climbing wall. Weekends are snowshoeing the lesser peaks and some major peaks later in the season.

-Charlie (tupper lake, ny)

I'm with you Bobby, I have to close it down in the winter (due to my geography, I live in flat, mountain-forsaken pennsylvania). I try to spent 30 minutes everyday in the basement. One day the treadmill, the next with the free-weights, I try and mix in alot of crunches and squats.

It still hurts like heck on the first hike down south in April , but I'm better off than if I just did the 12oz curls. :D

You need start winter hiking or skiing. You will enjoy it more and I bet you will get hooked. Just get some XC skis. As long as you have a golf course, small park or something to ski loops on. That is all you need to stay in shape.

For me I get paid to hike, ski, snowshoe and bike. :D :D :D

I also live next to 2 large state Parks/Forest. It is very easy for me to get out. This past summer I made a trail at my house. It is has 2 loops with a connecter trail. Part field and woods. It is about a mile long. I hit this loop when I dont have a lot of time. I will hit that with my bike or when we get snow on skis. I will do an easy loop followed by a hard one. I do this for an hour. It is a Great workout. As soon as my bone spur heels I will run this loops as well.

I haven't really done much winter-hiking at all. Maybe this year, maybe not.

Usually by November I need a break from it anyway. I spent the past two winters doing some short stuff around where I live, just to keep getting some impact on my knees and ankles. But I mostly did a lot of lifting (well, ok it's a bowflex, close enough). Building up around my knees, calves and hamstrings, and also my shoulders and back. I carry a much heavier daypack than most people do (don't believe me, ask Poison Ivy), and I find extra upper body strength to be important. I can't do hardly any during the 3 seasons that I hike, it just wears me down too much. I hike most every weekend from April to November (not this weekend, I have the flu). For cardio, I shovel a lot of snow, keeping my driveway, walk and deck clear, and doing the same for my neighbors (most of them are senior citizens). If there's no snow, I'll run around the condo complex a couple of times instead.

No off season here either, I hike every week year round, IF I miss a week you wouldnt want to be around me :mad: Then again, maybe you wouldnt want to anyway :eek:

obviously the best training for hiking is hiking, but if you don't like being outside in the cold, and thus won't be skiing or winter hiking get to the gym and do lots of cardio, lifting weights also helps

Actually I have found its a good balance to have winters where activities that focus on strength(heavier weight lifting for longer time periods, skiing, and the indoor rock gym, occasional hikes, mostly smaller local stuff) with cardio heavy summers(lots of hiking in the whites, mountain biking and rollerblading after work, with shorter trips to the gym to lift a couple times a week)

In the long run it may help you from burning out(I always look forward to my next seasonal activity, kinda like in high school when I played three different sports) on any of the activities, and probably gets you in the best overall shape.

2-3 times a week I do the "poor man's stair master" where I run up & down my basement steps for 30 minutes. When the workout gets too easy I put 5 lb dumbbells in a backpack. IT's a great workout for the lungs & legs.