OK Slip Falls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orphic Seth

Reaction score
Has anyone been here? They are just opposite the Hudson River of Kettle Mountain, nestled in between the west and east portions of the Hudson Gorge Primitive Area. Fed by OK Slip Pond to OK Slip Brook. They seem big- real big. It appears to be private land, but maybe there's an easement, perhaps from the Hudson itself? A search didn't come up with anything here, and very little on the Google-izer.

OK: I just found this

Can anyone add anything?

So, a "no go" just because it's private land and you're making a blanket statement, or a "no go" because you have specific knowledge to this site? Just trying to clarify because I could read your post two ways- no ill intent meant on my part... thanks.

Edit: and actually, if you've got any information about these falls that would be interesting to share, by all means please do.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of what you mean but it's private property and they don't give out permission to get to the falls. This has been a long standing PP issue. Barbara McMartin lobbied for years for the state to acquire the land.

There is suppposed to be a vantage point from the south facing ledges of Kettle Mountain where you can spot the falls. For a full description of the bushwhack see page 81 of Discover the Central Adirondacks.

Aaah, OK, very good, thank you! This month's Adirondack Life has something about Finch and Pruyn (or however you spell that, it's late now for me) but the mag is all in plastic and I don't think Hannafords would appreciate me tearing into it in the check-out line and not buying it.

The article addresses the sale of FP.
Now we can only hope that OK Slip Falls might in the future be sold to the state.

as far as i know the falls now belongs to a boys camp - the land was leased from the company to the camp for 20 years - as far as i know when the lease ran out, the camp bought the land (i went there years ago and now my son goes every summer) - a couple years ago while dropping my son off i asked if i could go to the falls - (it is still like i remember it) - if you want to go, enroll your son in the camp and go to the falls when you drop him off (if you dont have a son send a nephew or something) - they now have a 46er program there too (to make boys 46ers in 2 years) but not when i went there...

Last edited:
i found out - - - the land was re-leased for another 20 years to the camp when the first lease expired - it has now (just this month) been completely sold to the nature conservancy (160,000 acres) - it is still unknown what will become of the current leasees - for the next 18 months finch pruyn will continue to manage the land, after that?????

Last edited: