Old Speck: Speck Pond Trail vs. AT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie

Reaction score
I want to hike Old Speck soon and to bring my mother since she wants to do a hike together. She is a decent hiker and has done a number of the mts in the Whites with me but she wants nothing to do with ladders or anything like that. It is not obvious in the AMC guidebook, but after I have checked out trip reports it looks like the AT route may have some areas like that which I wouldn't want to bring her on. I haven't seen any reports of going up via Speck Pond trail. On paper it looks similar in elevation gain, but over a longer distance, so I thought it may be a little gentler in comparison (but still rugged for sure!), but given the guide doesn't really talk about the ladders and rungs on the AT trail, I'm not sure if there is anything like that on the Speck Pond trail too (or the Mahoosuc trail to the summit). Has anyone been up via Speck Pond trail lately? Are there any ladders or cables or rungs or anything like that on that trail? Does anyone know if the stream crossings high this year? Could this trail freak someone out who doesn't want to see ladder type things on trails? Thanks!

I did Old Speck via the AT over 4th of July weekend and I can tell you that, as long as you stay on the AT, there's no ladders or rungs there. If you swing over onto the Eyebrow Trail (which starts and ends back on the AT), then you're going to encounter ladders and cables and rungs. But, if you stay on the AT itself the entire way, there's nothing like that. There's a couple of rugged sections near the top that just require some care and a lot of rock steps on the bottom mile or so that are more annoying than anything, but no ladders, rungs, cables, etc.

Can't say anything about the Speck Pond Trail as I've never been on it.

My recollection of the Speck Pond Trail (it's been 7 years) is that it's mellow but yes, very long. I don't remember anything standing out as difficult. The pond is gorgeous, and is cold but swimmable (no leaches). The trail up to Old Speck is in the open for most of its length with nice views, steep in spots, and has a lot of slab stepping and a few "how the heck do I get up that rock" or "I must slide down this on my butt" moments, some tricky when dry, quite challenging if wet.

I'll second MichaelJ. I did a loop last year involving the Speck Pond trail up from Success Pond Road up to Old Speck, then down Mahoosuc Arm & Notch with a road walk back to the car. Very long route up through some logged areas, plus some elevation loss & gain going down to the pond, then up again. Last bit was definitely a scramble over exposed slabs, but in fair weather it wasn't any worse than bits on Cardigan or Welch/Dickey.

I guess it should go without saying that I wouldn't recommend Mahoosuc Notch to you as an ascent route. :D

Thanks so much for the feedback! That is good to know it is really the eyebrow trail that is what has the ladder & cable--so easily avoided! Speck pond trail still sounds tempting to see the pond, but with my mom I may opt for the shorter trip after all! Thanks!!