Old Speck via old speck trail. 3-11-13.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
tr. cond;old speck trail had some postholes,but was mostly smooth to eyebrow junction.After junction trail was filling in from tree snow dropping like crazy.The closer to summit trail was trickier with some rambling at places.Lots of snow made upper steeps much more pleasant on the "would not want to fall areas'.Post holes got worse closer to summit.Having hiked this trail before,I skirted some areas to save my legs.Lots of snow up top.
spec. equipment;snowshoes car to car.
comments;first maine winter mountain for me.thanks mother nature for almost perfect but kind of hot conditions.I blew it on layering today,need more rain gear due to tree rain from melting snow a lot of the hike.A parka is great but not a shell and gets soaked easy.Tough hike because I was sore from day before and had no sleep due to a party in the room above me at the place I stayed.Owner was nice,so I will save him a yelp moment.Lots of views,but not a bluebird day.Could see bigelow's,elephant and sugarloaf and the skyline of canada.Met nice snowmobile dude in parking lot,we talked about low snow totals in the mountains in recent years.Saw only two people all day who were heading up to camp out.Hope they made it to their goal.took eyebrow back which was uneventful and postholed to heck
some pics;https://picasaweb.google.com/sasha.learnard/WaumbekSWeeks31013OldSpeck31113#

Last edited: