Olderbark Mt. Hike 8-1-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
Alan, Bookah and I arrived at the Mink Hollow trailhead at approximately 8:30 a.m. Weather was predicted to be clear with a 20% possibility of afternoon showers and temps in the mid 70's. We started on the Mink Hollow Trail which passed by several camps as it followed a stream - I'm guessing the Beaverkill or one of its tributaries. We soon crossed the stream and began a gentle climb, eventually leaving the trail and bushwhacking towards the summit ridge. The woods transformed from stands of pines to nettles and deciduous saplings intermixed with ferns to connifers on the ridge with their sharp, brittle twigs and branches. Alan donned his bushwhacking goggles and I used my sunglasses, securely fastened with a strap around my neck. My rain jacket and bushwhacking gloves were lost somewhere on the ridge as one of those nasty twigs opened the zipper on one of the side packs on my backpack, allowing those items to escape! Oh well, I needed a new rain jacket anyway. We walked the length of the ridge, pausing for a quick lunch, and then decided to head down to Mink Hollow Road at this point rather than retrace our steps across the ridge again. We encountered some tricky, steep cliffs on the way down - butt-sliding was the only way to go. Bookah needed limited help but otherwise managed just fine. Once beyond the steeps and return to lower elevations, we followed a woods road most of the way down to the road. We walked a mile back to the car, reaching the PA at a bit after 5:00 p.m. Great day in the woods!

91/102

Pics ....... http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesh...6&Uy=apd0va&Ux=0&UV=435206535801_149028709306

A very interesting day and got to sample 2 different routes on Olderbark.
Some very steep cliffs to negotiate between 2,800' and 3,000'. Its almost cheating to have a trail dog as she finds the passages and then waits on top looking like "When you gonna get up here"?
One very 'thoughful' cliff band on the way down. A series of 3 ledges. Bookah wanted no part of until Jo gave her a 'convincer'. I made the last drop to the base by swinging like an ape(no additional comments, please ) from the base of a rotting tree, hanging by one arm and then dropping to the deck. All in time to gather Bookah doing a 4WD descent down the last 75 degree ledge.

I thought Olderbark was remarkable in a few respects. The eastern rampants and steep terrain discourage the casual hiker. And the summit ridge is much like the thicker places between Lone and Rocky.
Olderbark goes from a Catskill hike up to about 3,200' and then it feels like an ADK 'whack up the last bit and across the summit ridge. We traversed north to south to be sure we walked over the true top. And the southern ridge 'returns to the Catskills' with open deciduous woods and grasses underfoot.

Only Little Rocky and Cradle Rock Ridge left before Bookah and I hit 102 on Stoppel Point. Its nice be close to the finish and at the same time I wish the list were 500 peaks longer so this could go on for years. Looking forward to hiking with others on this list of peaks and adding new routes.

Peakbagr said:
Only Little Rocky and Cradle Rock Ridge left before Bookah and I hit 102 on Stoppel Point. Its nice be close to the finish and at the same time I wish the list were 500 peaks longer so this could go on for years. Looking forward to hiking with others on this list of peaks and adding new routes.
So when is Stoppel Point? :D

I'd like to do it the last weekend of August but enough people have asked about it that I'm concerned about other Labor Day weekend commitments.
If the other 2 fall in place soon, either that Saturday or the next one.
I'd forgotton that this can be difficult. :eek:

hermit said:
Great report and pictures.I would like to join you folks on some hikes again now that some home improvements have been completed.That does not give me the type of exercise hiking does.

Hiking is probably cheaper too! :)

Let us all know your intended finishing date, you know I'm going out west for two weeks....and there is the ADK now-informal gathering going on at 9/6 weekend...

Jay