OMG i finally did it. Got a kayak today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why you are spending so much time in the water. Kayaks are very stable. If you are that unstable in the boat then I'm thinking that the boat is not sized big enough for you. The only time I have felt very unstable in kayaks is when I have paddled boats that are too small for me. Boats that have higher performance might feel tippy at first (low primary stability) but generally have high secondary stability and while you might feel tippy you do not end up going over.

- darren

well, the first time I tipped over for real, the subsequent times I was messing around. It's mental too, when i'm near shore trying braces I feel stable , then in the middle of the lake I feel differently.

A little late on this thread,but the Nordkapp is a boat that requires a pretty good skill level. It's very easy to put over in a low brace turn if you're not attentive.
So,don't feel bad if you had to swim a couple of times. Once you get used to it,you will love the boat.

Valley

I paddle with folks well experienced with valley boats. The Nordkapp is not as general purpose as the Aquanaut and does require some additional skills in bracing, edging, and overlal boat control.

The skeg is for controlling the impact of wind wanting to make the boat weathercock. It has nothing to do with nor does it provide stability in the boat.

I highly suggest lessons with a more demanding boat like this one. The valley Avocet might have been a more comfy boat for you.

Nose over belly button over centerline.

If your head moves to either side of the center line (keel line) you are in danger of going over. Practice moving the boat with your hips but keeping your head in the same place (aka J Lean).