One Last Boot Resurrection Attempt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
I'm still trying to eek a little life out of my boots without a great deal of success. The latest attempt was Welt Seal, which failed on the trail today after holding for a few trips (maybe 15 hours total). Much better than Shoo-Goo (which lasted a day a most), but not very encouraging with warming temps predicted.

For those not familiar with my six month long boot saga, here's the basics: I'm I very tough fit in a size most manufacturers don't make. My boots have been discontinued cannot be readily replaced. The seams have blown out on the sides at the pressure point before the toes. Leak City.

A while back someone mentioned some other kind of boot cement, but I can't find it on a search. Something made by the Sno-Seal folks?

I just need to plug the seams for a few more hikes until I can finish the search for a replacement. Help!!!

Periwinkle said:
A while back someone mentioned some other kind of boot cement, but I can't find it on a search.
You might be thinking of Barge cement. Used to attach the outer sole to the mid sole, I believe. Not sure it would help if the welt is failing.

Perhaps a shoemaker could help, if you can find one. Come to think of it, there are some bootmakers that will replace boot soles. Should be ads for them in the climbing magazines.

Doug

How about a combo of some time of gooy cement -- and the ever-popular, all-purpose Duct tape?

I feel for you. I didn't want to get rid of my boots. They were in bad shape by the end of last year with no traction on the bottom, the bottom lifting from the shoe and they were no longer water proof. I hope you can find something to help you. As for mine, my kids said to make them into flower pots. Now I have to awful task of breaking in a new pair since I can't even by the same pair I had anymore and I loved them!
Goodluck!

Alternatively, a cobbler might be able to help you out in resurrecting your boots. And I think most of them don't overcharge for their service.

Periwinkle:

I had the same problem with my EMS Summits. I used barge cement to fill in the gap. Here is how I did it. Fill in the hole with barge cement and let it dry. The cement will filter down through the boot, so although the gap looks filled, after awhile it will look like you didn’t put anything in the gap. After it dries, refill the gap. You are going to have to refill the gap several times before it is finally filled. At the final filling, clamp the sole and upper leather part together with a wood clamp or some other type devise. Once it is dry and the hole is filled, run a final bead of cement over the gap and let it dry.

I just bought a new pair of boots, but I still use the old ones for trail maintenance.

I searched for a boot cobbler that could do some serious work on a pair of boots once and I eventually found a guy that impressed me.

I don't remember the name, but he is (was) in downtown Amherst, in one of the small alleys behind Annie's.

he rebuilt the whole lining of a pair of heavy leather boots and didn't charge me much at all.

good luck!

spencer

Gorilla Glue. It is used a lot for furniture repairs as it expands when it dries. Use much less than you would anticipate you'd need as it just about doubles in size once dry (I didn't believe them and had an oozed mess of glue on the toe of my boots). I used this fix on my Montrail Torre GTX's to seal between the leather and rubber at the toe. It worked like a charm and is watertight (fix is 6-8 months old and holding strong). If fashon is your thing this isn't the fix for you as the glue dries a tan color and it's prretty bumpy. Good thing: if you use too much you can CAREFULLY sand it down to a smooth finish. Good luck!!

Hi Peri,
I have had very good results with "Outdoor Goop" (Be careful there are several kinds of Goop for various needs.) Their website is GOOP Click on products and then on the backpack. These folks also make Shoe Goo, so you might not be as willing to give them a try again.

I have used JB Weld on many projects over the years and have been meaning to try their new Marine Weld which works on flexible materials, though I have not yet had a chance to get some. If it works as well as regular JB Weld, then it's a shoe-in (No pun intended).

I hadn't thought about Gorilla glue - I use it for small wood projects, but I guess it can be used in wet conditions on flexible materials.

One other thought--frequently boots that are worn out in some obvious way are also worn out in a not-so-obvious way. So a boot with a worn but replaceable outer sole may also have a worn out inner/mid sole (less support and cushioning etc).

Doug

Another option that I have used is a flowable silicone adhesive. Not sure if it says exactly that on the package. It's found in auto supply stores and is used for leaks and sealing around windshields. Not sure if it would work in this application, but it's inexpensive and may be worth a try.

I've kept some good boots going by replacing soles until the shank finally broke down but always figured it had the risk of compromising the water tight integrity (nautical term for keeping the boat afloat) if it weren't for the goretex lining . I don't think I'd depend on a cobbler or shoemaker to restore that original water tightness but the cements they use may do the trick for at least some time. Try what you may but I suggest you wear wool socks and bring an extra pair or two ... your feet may get wet but should still stay fairly warm if you don't mind at least some temporary sogginess.

I think that if a cobbler's in your future then do that sooner rather than later, before you try too many glue solutions. Not only might the glue make it harder for them to sew, but usually you can only apply glue so many times before the new coat won't grab, or there's not enough leather left to grind off the residue. Have used a cobbler in N. Conway (not the Limmers) but he was rather old and may no longer be around. Used Boivert's in Barre, VT many times because they were near my home - they do a good job. And of course, there's Dave Page in Seattle if you want to UPS them.

Am going to check out the Gorilla Glue though - sounds like it's a bit like duct tape in terms of 1002 uses. According to their website, they also have a Gorrilla tape, and their products are available at Home Depot.

I stuck my Danner's twice with my crampons hiking Jefferson last weekend and went right through the leather and into the Gore-Tex liner inside. I was originally going to try the glue method, but remembered a cobbler in Brunswick, Maine. I took them to him, and he didn't see a problem repairing them, said the cost would be about $20 for both boots ( I couldn't ruin just one...), they'd be fixed with leather, no compromising the insulation and GTX membrane, and I'd be able to re-waterproof them.

My vote is definitely for the cobbler before trying anything else, if he says no, you can always try it yourself.

Just a public service announcement for the Mainers: That cobbler in Brunswick -- his store is called Shoe Renu and is located in Fort Andross -- does some very nice work. I've taken 3 or 4 different things to him. He's also been good about telling me what he can't do. I tried talking to some cobblers in Portland last year, and they did not inspire the same level of confidence.

What exactly is barge cement? Is that the brand name?

I need something I can find locally for the time being. I'm pretty sure I can find Gorilla Glue, not so sure about Outdoor Goo. Whatever I do, I've got to do it tomorrow, as the boots are headed back on the trail Sunday. I'll bring the usual extra socks and duct tape just in case, but I'd really like to keep my feet dry!

The ultimate plan is to get in touch with Lowa (very helpful in the past) and find out what new model they replaced the Scouts with that might have a similar fit. (I've given up on trying to find them discontinued or on Ebay.) Once I get a new pair, the old faithfuls can go to a cobbler for repair. Unfortunately, they aren't the kind that can be re-soled, so I'll just hope for the best.

Thanks for all the help so far!

I will stand by my recommendation for Gorilla Glue. It has worked really well for me, though it sounds like our boots wounds are in different places. What I really liked is that the glue expands and really seals the gap. If you are going that route.....give yourself 24 hours dry time, it will take every second of it, especially if you are filling a large area with a lot of glue. Also keep in mind that Gorilla people recommend to "clamp" the pieces together. I had a tough time with this, so I just wrapped my boots in duct tape after applying the glue. You will have about a half hour to work the glue/boots before it starts to set up. I'd have tooth picks on hand too so you can really work it into the seams. As far as finding it, I got mine at a craft/fabric store. They should be stocked at most hardware stores too.

Periwinkle said:
What exactly is barge cement? Is that the brand name?
Barge cement is used by cobblers to assemble boots. Matching their glues would make professional repair easier. Unlike some other glues, it can be released by heat for disassembly and repair.

Google answers all questions:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="barge+cement"&btnG=Google+Search

See:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/bace1qshgron.html
and
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/bargecement.html

I forget where I got mine: might have been REI or a hardware store.

There are also a number of posts in news://rec.backcountry with useful information on Barge cement:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.backcountry/search?q="barge+cement"&start=20&

Doug

Last edited:
Gorilla Glue

I've used it for woodworking but never found it to be flexible enough for a joint like the sole/shoe upper would have, but obviously some have had success with it. One word of caution -- wear gloves for the glue will *not* come off your hands.

Maybe McNett (the Seam Grip people) have something.