One type of boot for multiple BC skis?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
I searched through all the previous posts on BC skis and there's some good info on this forum, but I couldn't really find an answer to this question.

I currently have some backcountry skis, Alpina Trackers with Rottefella NNN-BC bindings and Alpina 1550 boots. These work well for kicking and gliding on straights but not so well when the trail gets narrow and twisty. Part of the problem is that I'm still learning, but I don't think I'll ever be able to make turns very well with these - they're 192 CM and just are not designed for quick turns.

If I wanted to get a second pair of skis that was shorter and wider, for use on narrow, twisting trails, with the realization that I'd be giving up some gliding ability on the straights, would it be wise to get the second pair of skis with NNN bindings too, so that I don't have to buy a second pair of boots? I guess what the question really boils down to is, how much does the binding style affect your ability to turn? I'm sort of hoping I can just get a shorter ski with NNN bindings. I'm not talking about wanting to fly down the side of a mountain, I'm just not much of an agressive skier. I just want to be able to handle winding trails a little better than with my current Alpinas. If it turns out I need to buy new skis, bindings, and boots, I probably just won't bother with all of this and will just stick with my current skis.

IMO, the boot and the binding are what determine how much control you have. What I've seen of NNN-BC, it still doesn't approach what you can do with a 3-pin/cable setup and good stiff boots. There's way too much flex in NNN and other click-in set ups.

If there's any stiffer binding out there that will accept your old boots, I'm sure someone will let us know.

Of course, I've seen elite skiers in ultalight equipment do amazing things on the trails and the slopes, but for us sloggers, we need more help.

The ski certainly needs to match the set up, but it's less important than what's on your feet and how you are attached to it.

I agree with Audrey--3-pin is your best bet.

FWIW, all of my skis--track, BC, and Tele are mounted with 3-pin bindings. (The lighter weight skis are without cable, the heavier weight are with cable.)

Doug

This might help-I found these reviews when I looked to see what boot this is.
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Alpina-BC-1550-Backcountry-Boot/ALP0039M.html

Some of those reviewers are on wider skis than yours and seem to really like using your boot.

I'm a beginner BC skier. After asking a lot of questions on TelemarkTips, I bought Atomic Rainiers, Voile cable 3 pins with the release kit and Garmont Excursion boots. Excursions are a plastic two buckle boot, somewhat like a Scarpa T3. They are about the lightest plastic boot around. Supposedly, I could even telemark on this setup, but haven't tried that yet. BTW, my skis are short-170. I got a great deal on them and since I'm not all that heavy, they are fine except in powder. My skis are 88-60-78, so they are wider than yours with a lot more sidecut for turning.

Based on hundreds of posts I have read on TTips over the past couple of years, I have learned that boots and bindings, especially boots, are the key to making your skis do what you want them to do and wider skis need stiffer boots.

Last edited:
Although the 3 pins are superior for skiing control, the NNN BC's are better to hike in. I end up hiking in my ski boots quite a bit, so prefer the NNN-BC setup. For basic touring the added edge control is not needed, I prefer the softer, more comfortable NNN boots for that.

Ya gotta have a full quiver of tools; but I end up using the NNN's more often.

the NNN BC's are better to hike in.
Not necessarily. I have some leather 3-pin boots (Asolo Snowfield II) (See http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-boots.html for a picture) that are essentially hiking boots (with a vibram sole) with a duckbill. They are so comfortable that I put them on at home, drive to the trailhead (2-3hrs), ski/walk difficult spots, and drive home in them. I could certainly put crampons or snowshoes on them if necessary. These boots are more comfortable than my summer hiking boots...

3-pin covers the range of:
* leather low boots (eg old track/racing boots)
* leather over-the-ankle boots (eg the Snowfields)
* leather high boots
* plastic over-the-ankle (eg Scarpa T3, Garmont Excursion)
* plastic high Tele boots (eg Scarpa T2)
some (but not all) of which are comfortable to walk in.

I have a number of boots in the above range and all of my skis (track, BC, and Tele) have 3-pin bindings so I can mix and match to suit the needs of the day.

Dave's (dave.m) Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page is a nice reference for BC skiing gear. http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html It includes sections on boots and bindings.

Doug

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I have some leather 3-pin boots They are so comfortable that I put them on at home, drive to the trailhead (2-3hrs), ski/walk difficult spots, and drive home in them. I could certainly put crampons or snowshoes on them if necessary. These boots are more comfortable than my summer hiking boots...

Doug

Oh yeah- well my NNN boots are so comfortable I wear them to bed the night before, drive to and fro in them, ski all day, and then hit the disco for some dancing in them before I take them off...

Regarding bindings....I have been reading up a bit and I understand that the difference between SNS-XA bindings and SNS-BC bindings is that the 'BC' version is 'beefier'. But what does this really mean in practice? If I go out on backcountry skis but I have the XA version, what's the disadvantage?

Last edited:
The BC versions have more torsional control, meaning it's easier to turn, to hold a snowplow, to edge. Also, the boots designed for the BC bindings offer more ankle support. The two systems are not compatible, so you can't use XA boots in BC bindings.

I stopped at REI in Reading during lunch to take a look at the SNS bindings and see how they were different than the NNN. With the ridge on the binding and the groove in the boot, it looks like these would offer a lot more turning power than NNNs.

Edit: oops, I just checked online and I guess those were SNS skate bindings I was looking at. There are too many options!

Last edited:
Just thought I would post an update clarifying some of my mis-leading statements above. I went to the Salomon web site (don't know why I didn't just think of this in the first place) and discovered that SNS XA bindings are the backcountry version of SNS bindings. The XA is just short for XADV, and there are two models, the SNS XADV Access, which are automatic step-in bindings, and SNS XADV Raid, which are manual, and a bit beefier than the Access version.