"Only One Hill:" Mount Washington Road Race, 6/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few shots from the 2011 Mount Washington Road Race. We had showers before the gun went off, with sun in and out of the clouds during the race. Cool and breezy enough on top to chill sweaty and tired competitors.

Coffee stop - much needed after pre-race festivities in North Conway on Friday night.
p574099743-3.jpg

In Memory of Alicia
p782215606-3.jpg

Partial undercast
p976941886-3.jpg

Chugging up the hill
p870212010-3.jpg

Fogged in
p576556108-3.jpg

On the top! Mike, Jonathan, Patrick
p1033831227-3.jpg

Tailgating
p998707101-3.jpg

I "ran" 1:51:27. No major ill effects, other than a sore(r) throat and blisters on the balls of both feet.

Thanks to Rat Pack teammates John G, John P, Al, Mike, Billy, Patrick, Carrie, and Harry. Thanks to Harry for driving. To John P's wife Cindy for driving us down the mountain. To John G for organizing. To all the MWRR volunteers.

Photos
Race Results

Last edited:
I want to congratulate you. I participated in this event back in 2002 and its one tough race.

Training on steps in the gym will not help much. You have to train going up real hills.

Well done. Overall time is not important. The challenge is huge and completing it is an accomplishment.

I want to congratulate you. I participated in this event back in 2002 and its one tough race.

Training on steps in the gym will not help much. You have to train going up real hills.

Well done. Overall time is not important. The challenge is huge and completing it is an accomplishment.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

The only other time I participated in this race was in 2005. My time was 1:38:30.

Of course that was six years ago, and I was training harder back then.

Still, I'd kind of like to go back next year and see if I can get a few of those ~13 minutes back, given a bit more prep time, and a few less pounds of ballast!