Opinions on EMS mountainlight sleeping bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a multipurpose bag for kids, etc. The EMS mountainlight 20 deg bag seems to fit the need and budget. I'm curious about the temp ratings on the EMS bags, and curious how the pertex shell holds up to abuse and for water resistance. thanks !

I can't speak to this bag specifically, but I have the EMS Solstice 25/45. (You flip it based on which rating you want...it's a gimmick.) In my experience, i.e. freezing in this bag anytime it's below 40, that the EMS ratings don't hold. Then again, this is a gimmick bag, so I wouldn't base your decision on my post alone.

i've had mine for 2 or 3 years, it has the old (and better!) logo, and I like it very much-both the bag and the logo:). Mine may be underfilled, i know there were a batch that did not have the amount of down they were supposed to have, but that was corrected long, long ago. I know this cuz i work there p/t. The shell is good. I spent a rainy and windy night in Redrock Ravine under a tarp and the foot area got a bit wet but nothing really bad, especially considering the rain and wind.

if its a kids bag you're looking for the synthetic 20 degree might be better as its cheaper. i am not sure if both come in a junior size, the synthetic does fo' sho'. An oversized bag won't be nearly as warm.

hope the kiddies enjoy the outdoors!

I own two EMS Mountainlight bags. One is the -20 degree bag and the other is the +40 degree bag. I haven't yet really pushed the temperature rating of the -20 bag, but I have used the +40 bag in temps at about 40 degrees and damp. I stayed warm in the bag. I have been very happy with both of these bags.

Woody

I just picked up one of the 40 degree bags. I have used it twice,once when it was below 40 (with a liner) and this past weekend at CMR.
Both times it worked fine. The mountainlight is lite and packs well. You will have to be careful with it as the shell is very light weight.

Last edited:
I own the EMS women's mountain light 20 degree bag and am very happy with it. It's only 2 lbs and has kept me more than warm enough. I have yet to meet any fabric (shell or otherwise), however, that is totally kid proof. If the kids' version is filled with down like mine is, don't count on it keeping them warm if it gets wet.