Osceola and East Osceola via Mt. Osceola Trail – 11/10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Osceola and East Osceola via Mt. Osceola Trail – 11/10/13

Date of Hike: 11/10/13

Trails: Mt. Osceola Trail

Conditions: Tripoli Road had about 2 inches of snow on it. For the first 1/3 of the way up Osceola bare boots were fine, but soon ice layered over the big, sloped boulders made microspikes a good idea. There was enough snow and thick ice to not have to worry about dulling the spikes. We kept on our spikes over the summit, down via the bypass, over to East Osceola, back down into the col, straight up the chimney (just had to do it) and back over Osceola. The summits themselves had around 4 inches of snow. Back down around that 1/3 point, mentioned above we removed our spikes when the ice faded and the snow and dirt turned to an ugly slushy mess.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes are now in my pack and will remain a carried item until next May. Face protection was a good addition with the cold, biting winds.

Comments: Snow and ice made for a slow trip but highly enjoyable one with my good companions including a little dog name Isaiah. Picked up 3 lost hikers just below the parking lot. They had hiked up Tecumseh from Waterville Valley and accidentally came down on the Tripoli Road side. No headlamps and no map. I hope they’ve learned their lesson (10 essentials please) and will pay the kindness foreward.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

65/67 NE 4K (stupid Abraham, stupid North Brother)