Overlook Halloween Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flammeus and I are a definite maybe for this. Let us know re: timing - we have teenagers we wil be dropping off in Woodstock. A night time hike sounds perfect. Weather and chauffeuring duties permitting, of course :)

Cool idea.

How about watching the sunrise on New Year's Day from the top of somewhere? It's been a goal of mine... unachieved thus far ...

Flammeus and I are a definite maybe for this. Let us know re: timing - we have teenagers we wil be dropping off in Woodstock. A night time hike sounds perfect. Weather and chauffeuring duties permitting, of course :)

So far we have only two definites, and we haven't discussed a time yet. I could start as early as 5:30. It might be fun to walk up at dusk, as the darkness creeps in around us.

What time or time frame would be best for you two?

Matt

As I stated before, I will be in the catskills on friday doing something so I could shoot over to Overlook any time, although later is better because 5;30 is still too light out and it should be dark to be spooky, especially by the ruins..

Maybe I'll camp at the ruins.. or in the ruins...

Jay

Yes, there is a parade! It is an all ages affair - not just a little kids thing, and apparently the costumes are just over the top. Tinker Street gets closed for a few hours for parade and shenanigans: apparently there is a large amount of shaving cream involved.

I still don't have an answer re:timing - my cursory search of the Chamber website revealed nothing. I'll ask around and post again when I get an answer.

We shall see what today's/tonight's weather does to these plans - we may be sloggin' up through nasty slush. I'll wear my wellingtons.;)

Yes, there is a parade! It is an all ages affair - not just a little kids thing, and apparently the costumes are just over the top. Tinker Street gets closed for a few hours for parade and shenanigans: apparently there is a large amount of shaving cream involved.

I still don't have an answer re:timing - my cursory search of the Chamber website revealed nothing. I'll ask around and post again when I get an answer.

As I just posted on the other thread, I'm just going to head straight up to Meads by about 6, and hopefully will start hiking by about 6:30. Please post if and when you know your time frame.

Matt

Sorry it took me so long to get the info... and it is still a little vague, but according to the Woodstock police, approximately 4:30 is the parade time.

Leave it to Woodstock to refuse to nail down a firm time :rolleyes:

Jay and I are going to carpool from New Paltz and will be at Meads between 6 and 6:30. While you're in Woodstock, see if you here anything from locals about conditions up on Overlook. I have no idea right now if there is no snow, a little or a lot. I plan to bring or wear winter boots, gaiters, snow pants and possibly snowshoes. Or none of the above if reliable sources say there's no snow.

Matt