Owlie by way of Liberty - Valentine's Day 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
During the spring of 2007 when I was camping out in the snow with my sister-in-law “Sunshine Chris” she told me about an adventurous hike with Joe Green. Joe had passed away the previous spring and Chris had shared the adventure with him when he was about seventy. It was the first of many they would do together but the story and the pictures from her album later on were pure bear bait for me. He had laid his route as a dogleg off the gentle sweeping backside of Franconia Ridge using the bluff overlooking Liberty Brook. His route went northeast from Liberty Spring Trail junction onto the bluff down across Liberty Brook at the fork of the north and middle branch and down the hill to the Lincoln Brook Trail on an old skidder road. His crafty route layout intrigued me and became the inspiration of much photography and reconnaissance hikes near this area. Therefore although my route was a variation of his, my weekend was an “Ode to Joe” adventure!

I was forgiven my evening out by my Valentine and headed up the trail at the crack of noon. Weather was supposed to turn more favorable Sunday afternoon, if you can trust the weatherman. It did not look as though it would clear much when I got to the ridge. I took a quick jaunt over to Liberty and looked out toward Owl’s Head and it was missing! That was fine by me because I wanted to navigate this straight course I had chosen by compass, altimeter and map. Once last year I had laid out what headings I thought Joe may have used and bearings to Flume and Little Haystack for reference. I decided on a straight run this year and wanted to see how the going would be without the summit or landmarks in the distance to reference. I had wondered on a couple of violently windy trips on the ridge whether this path would give you refuge from a storm and a gradual climb back to the ridge. I also wondered if this would be a route for high water occasions where you could cross Lincoln Brook more safely above the drainage from Liberty Brook.

I traveled to the col north of Liberty and when I got down to 4000ft I headed east at a bearing of 70 degrees true. It started out beautiful through open hardwoods and gentle grades. Soon there were a lot of spruces to the north and I found myself chest deep in a trap. This rekindled my awareness and made me travel more cautiously. I found a few more traps but most I settle into gradually and left a decent path for anyone to follow. The spruces drifted me too far south and there was a steep slope down and away to my right which would probably bring you down to where the “old Johnson logging camp” was. Does anyone know if the camp was named for Jigger Johnson?

At one point I came across a large string of clearings in a shallow valley. There appeared to be skid roads between them but it was so open there were many possibilities. A bit later I came down off a short somewhat steep ridge and reached the branch of Liberty brook below the junction of the north and middle branch. It was easily crossed and the woods on the north bank had numerous skid roads. Further down the woods thickened and at times it was better closer to the brook. Other times it was much easier a short distance north in the woods. I took gradual sweeps this way and that so my path may seem like a drunken whack but I didn’t even bring a drop with me. My trek brought me out midway between Lincoln Brook crossing and Liberty Brook crossing, only a few hundred yards south of my intended point on easy terrain to follow.

I knew a cast of characters were coming in to Owl’s Head on Monday so I made camp on the Brutus Bushwhack above the skidder road so I might get a wake up call if I slept in! During the night the wind howled in the valley and knocked me along with my tent around a bit until the wee hours of the morning. It was a good sign because it meant a high pressure was blowing in and replacing the previous low. Once the first hiker came by I packed essentials and headed up the mountain. I met him later on his way back down and he was a fine fellow from York Maine and Owl’s Head was his #46. Nice making your acquaintance Daniel! I enjoyed both summits as the sun began to shine through and light all the paths and possibilities on top. After a noontime snack I headed down and began to meet all the folks on their way up. The woman on her way to 48th summit looked pretty drawn with the climb so I gave her a dark chocolate bar to celebrate and perk her energy. I hurried to my camp and packed up so I might enjoy the company of friends on the long hike out. It would not have been wise to hike back up over the ridge and expect to be ready for work the next day!

The remnants of an upper Black Pond BW was pleasant but a hundred or so feet lower than the route I normally travel so the south end had some PUDs. It was a nice leisurely pace out with a sweet break to take in the day at Black Pond and a nice sunset on the way out Lincoln Woods trail. The mind numbing straights of LW trail quickly disappeared in the many conversations of a fun group to hike out with. Thanks for letting me join your journey out!

Joe Green was the original “eye in the sky” for WBZ and flying the helicopter and reporting traffic. I only know of his true character from discussions with Chris and never got to meet him. He was very unassuming and she hiked with him for months never knowing he was one in the same as the Boston news icon. From what she has told me he loved the woods and cleverly mastered finding solitude there while the woods were full of hikers. If on the trail with others he was quietly on his way but often searching for places where no one would go and going to lengths to break trail during the week so they may have weekend adventures. I’m sure there are others like him quietly out there doing their thing, but I am grateful to Chris for sharing theirs with me. I owe Joe a debt I can never repay other than instilling in others the gratitude you can get from adventures in the woods!

Some of my pictures:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/576768382MQmLNA

Wow, great trip! Glad you finally got the opportunity to take that route. I remember you describing your ideas to me a couple years ago when we tagged Owlie together for my NH4ks.

Now, inquiring minds want to know how you managed to talk your beloved out of Valentines Day with you!!! :)

Johnson Lumber Co

Dave

Well done! I really enjoyed your TR. Johnson Lumber company owned lands called Hardwood Ridge on west side of Liberty. He also owned a tract on east side of ridge accessible only by Henry's East Branch RR. Henry offered to buy the lumber from Johnson, but Johnson wouldn't sell. They reached agreement where Johnson built a spur off of Owlshead branch into Liberty Brook Valley and paid Henry $5 per load to haul lumber out. Tract was logged mostly in winter of 1912-1913. Johnson was big time logger in Lincoln and Woodstock. See this link to Logging in Lincoln webiste for pictures.

http://www.logginginlincoln.com/Johnson.html

Jigger Johnson was a logger and woodsman, not a timber baron like Johnson of Johnson Lumber Co.

Last edited:
Dave, you are such a great resource! Thanks for once again taking the path less traveled and letting us know of your journey. I continue to learn a lot from you.

Very nice trip report, Dave -- I love the way you detailed the route, etc.

Thank you sharing the story and photographs.

The cloud-socked shot of Liberty never gets old, either -- Liberty looks pretty ominous (like the bow of a battleship) coming out of the fog. Love it!

Clay

Thanks for the report Dave.There is a real excitement when navigating off trail. What begins innocently enough as worry during the first few bushwacks,soon turns to confidence, and then to a love for the remoteness of this experience.
Your pictures and report put me right out there with you. Thanks again.

Enjoyed your trip report. Joe Green waved to me once from his "eye" when I was riding my motorcycle over the bridge into Boston during rush hour. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Ellen, That's a closer brush with him than I ever had! It was nice following his path through a peaceful night's forest and somehow feeling his presence there. To me thoughts like that are more reassuring of your confidence than the gear on your back but I wouldn't be without either!;)

cool hike, dave. sounds like a nice alternative route to owls head. enjoyed your pictures.

bryan

Wow, great trip! Glad you finally got the opportunity to take that route. I remember you describing your ideas to me a couple years ago when we tagged Owlie together for my NH4ks.

Now, inquiring minds want to know how you managed to talk your beloved out of Valentines Day with you!!! :)
Warning - Thread drift.

Thanks Sabrina! It was a great time and had I known I could text Bev on Sunday night I would have! Talking to my wife is very easy with near thirty years of practice! We know and love each other for who we are and how we pursue our passions, for each other and anything we do! We aren't the pretty young couple we were but don't expect to be. We still flirt and have fun all the time and are Valentines everyday of the year! Can't say I wouldn't have slept better in my own bed, that would be a fib. Truth is I get restless and wander out of the tent to check out the night often times. This time I had to keep one foot on the damn thing so it wouldn't blow away!

Congrats to you and Michael! Saying "yes" means challenging yourself with a peak you will never summit! Its a journey with many obstacles and odds are against us, trusting each other to take the path that keeps your love strong! One climb we did freehand up the face of Mt Willard had as much to do with our faith as anything! She knew my grasp was strong and I would never let her fall! Keep it light, keep it tight, the bond is never a pair of reins only true appreciation that will span miles if it needs to! ;)

Last edited:
Warning - Thread drift.

Congrats to you and Michael! Saying "yes" means challenging yourself with a peak you will never sunmmit! Its a journey with many obstacles and odds are against us, trusting each other to take the path that keeps your love strong! One climb we did freehand up the face of Mt Willard had as much to do with our faith as anything! She knew my grasp was strong and I would never let her fall! Keep it light, keep it tight, the bond is never a pair of reins only true appreciation that will span miles if it needs to! ;)

I love that, Dave. To continue the comparison, we have found that, as in a long hike, it is a matter of placing one foot in front of the other and to keep going.

Cool hike Dave, I love any alternative route to Owl's head. Also nice camping right on the bushwhack.

GReat job Dave...definitly my favorite way to Owl's !! :D

I know you've been wanting to do that!!:cool: