Owlie owed me a nice day and delivered! 4-19-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
After hiking Owlie last spring in May with Mike, Sabrina and Terra last spring in the rain it was easy to take the bait when MEB asked me if I might join them Sunday. I headed in early so I could set my own pace and choose a higher route to bushwhack from Black Pond. Heading uphill from the left side of the swamp and bearing between about 345 magnetic and magnetic north, running 1900 to 2050 elevation at most. I came right at a big old boulder I visited on my last two treks out. It’s a route high enough to avoid side-hilling and fairly open hardwoods through some nicely strewn boulders. My favorite would serve well as a lean to sometime.

The rest of the group caught up to me at Lincoln Brook. We enjoyed terrific conditions for the whole day and beautiful views from the summits. Occasionally we got in a zone and hiked quietly but once Mary Ellen mentioned this to Frank that all changed. It was a memorable hike and loads of fun! ;)

My pics: http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/571266528PZPHsL

Last edited:
"the sign"

i thought someone said the sign was gone...maybe they didn't get to the new true summit????

Reactions: MEB
Wow, I'm amazed at how little snow there is in your lower elevation photos! *Almost* makes me want to do Owl's Head soon. *Almost.*

Hey DB! Nice running into you on Saturday. What a suprise it was to see you on the Franconia Brook Trail....glad you decided to join us for some foolishness on this hike:) I think we could have made better time if we had left the farm animals at home but they really wanted to get some fresh mountian air.

Fun day everyone and congrats to Drewski for finishing his April peaks!

-MEB

Wow, I'm amazed at how little snow there is in your lower elevation photos! *Almost* makes me want to do Owl's Head soon. *Almost.*

I concur.

Sweet TR, Dave. Nice running into you on Saturday... :cool:

Great pictures, Dave, and it looks like you had a fun group with which to hike.

I particularly like your "lean-to" -- your own version of Boise Rock?

Thanks Clay, I tend to look for any place that would be good to den up in because I am partial to winter hiking and like to keep them in mind if they were ever needed. Most of the time I'm over-stocked with gear but you only need to get caught once!;)

Nice one, DB! Too bad you couldn't convince me again! Looks like you had a GREAT day! Are you sure we didn't hike it in April 2008? Sure was a dreary day!

Congrats, Mountain Drew! April is one tough Mother of a Month, bet you are glad to have filled in your April Grid! And, BTW, what the heck is that red thing in your hand in one of the pictures, a turkey call???

Last edited:
april is a tough month for sure...i actually enjoyed the april hikes...warm weather and i had a couple of great helpers...always smiling, always positive..it's all about the company..;)