Owl's Head and a Lauky made short cut. 10/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Trails: Lincoln Woods, Black Pond, Whack, Liberty Brook, Slide, Brutus Whack, Lauky Whack

The Lincon Woods trail is in pretty good condition, a few wet spots but nothing significant. The Black Pond trail has one big blow down that obviously has been there a while as a significant herd trail has formed around it. The trail itself is relatively dry. We did the whack that takes you up a bit above the wet area and then heads straight for the Liberty brook crossing. It comes out on the old skidder road that drops you off right by the crossing. A few wet spots to negotiate but it passes through open woods.

The Liberty Brook trail has a couple of dry spots otherwise it is wet and muddy pretty much the whole way.

The water was running high. We had skipped the first two major crossings and only had to deal with the upper three. The first crossing was easily passable with only very slight wading on the top of the rocks. The second crossing has been made easily crossable as someone has placed several logs at a very strategic spot. The third crossing needed to be waded. The rocks that had been placed across for rock hoping were four to six inches under water with a very strong current. I had my pants rolled up to my knees and one of them got wet anyway. Had my sandals with me which made the crossing very easy.

At the point where you turn to go up the slide there is a large cairn in the middle of the trail. The slide is a stream bed at the bottom and at the top. It's not running that much in between. However, everything was very wet. The difficult part was not the loose rock and scrabble, it was the rock slabs that offered no traction at all.

We went down the Brutus whack through mostly open woods. Next time, even in the summer, I'm going up that way. It's the ideal approach to Owl's head.

When we got back to the spot where we would take either the Fisherman's whack or the Black Pond whack I stopped for a moment to put Lauky's rain jacket on him as it was pouring rain. Then I said, OK let's go and he took off right back up the Black Pond whack. It had been hours since we had come through in the morning and it was pouring rain but he never hesitated. He laid a GPS track going back exactly on top of the one we had laid in the morning. There was a small muddy patch we had gone through in the morning, we went right over it on the way back, I could see my footprint from the morning. It was one of the most amazing tracking feats I've ever experienced. We got back through 20 minutes faster than we went in simply because there was no hesitating it was like walking on a trail. If he were a Bloodhound or even a bird dog I would have been less surprised, but he's a dig em out of the ground terrier. I did the NEHH and many whacks with my Airedale Duffy, but I never saw him do anything like that.

From parking lot to parking lot we so no one else all day long.

[email protected]

Last edited: