Owl's Head to Garfield 3/10-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WOW, what a trip!
We started out pretty much knowing that day two would be tough, highly doubtful that any fool, I mean person would have been in there this winter, and you know what? We were correct. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Day one started wuite well, a little too warm for my liking, my shirt was totally soaked by the time I got to Owl's head (first time I couldn't dry out a synthetic). The trial was packed out all the way to the slide. Thanks guys and gals! We had a great time going up the slide, crampons were the choice of boot wear, everyone else ahead of us had bushwacked through the trees, yuk. The clouds were giving way enough for decent views on franc ridge. THe weather was definitely agreeing with the forcasters, it was begining to drizzle a bit, nothing bad though. THe snow was absolutely getting quite deeper as we rose in elevation, I'd say about 3500, it was a stark change in depth and covering on the trees, just beautiful. THe summit seemed to keep on going away from us, but we got there, high fived and turned around after a quick snack. Nice glissade down, great snow conditions. We got back to the tent and boom, the rain came, what timing! Got water from the river and went in for a great evening with the guys, nice warm tent with great conversation, good dehydrated gormet dinners, stinky feet, and bottoms (no name to protect the offenders rep).

After asking about snoring tendancies, and informing the new guy of the punishment after the third offense, Paul knew he was going to be bruised in the morning, thankfully that wasn't the case. I think we scared the snore right out of him. Of course we overslept and the losing of the hour didn't help us, but oh well. We finally got on the trail and of course, no breaks at all. Worst of all the thing isn't marked, at all, or at least that these veterans coud see, maybe below snow??? doubtful. Corridors were unoticable and the ceiling was so damn thick that the GPS couldn't track enough sats. We relyed on instinct and map reading skills, and best gift, tree-cuts. We finally got to across the brook and the trail got a bit more noticable for a while, but then not so much, then voila, nice yellow blazes like every 50 feet, YIPPEE. Of course tose ended as we got to Franconia Brook Trail, but the corridor was very noticable for the majority of the way to Garfield ridge Trail. We were not certain at times but our noses led us to the cuts and we were good. Did I mention that the snow was deep and unconsolidated? Long tough going, mentally and physically.

We finally got to the Ridge trail to find out no one had been there either, I know, wishful thinking. We started the climb and lost the trail at one point as the snow thickened on the trees, but found it. The cone climb was fun, my claves are still a bit tight today. The best thing, other than the company, was the views, the clouds started to give way nearing sunset and we had phenominal views illuminated by the sun all around. Big payoff for such a slog. We hit Garfield and rejoiced. Now for the 6.2 out :( The first half was great, we boogied, however, the last end was horrible, slow ick in the dark! nothing worse than going out on flat, and roling stuff by head light after such a day. But, it would soon end and we did it, success! It's great to have buddies who came up to pick us up and shuttle back to Linc Woods. Thanks Tom and Tony! My head finally hit the pillow at 2:15, and no, I did not shower. 11 hours of trail is definitely the longest time I have spent out there in one days travel.

Again, thanks guys for accompanying me on this one! I do hope someone tries it next weekend as it is broken out, the fruits of labors should be utilized, it's a great trip! Highly suggest it. The toughest part was finding the trail.

Nice job! You know I was in, if I wasn't travelling to Utah for skiing or going to warm sunny places!!!

Too bad about the rain! :rolleyes: You know how I love hiking in the rain with you! Congrats on a nice long hike and finding guys to do it with! Good job staying on trail! No back tracking I assume? I bet your ride didn't supply cake...

Looking forward to our next hike!!

You know, you can just ignore DST until you get back to civilization! :D

Am I the only one that thinks it's WHACKED to start DST in the *WINTER* ?!?!? :eek: