Paddling camping trip suggestions.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHampshire

Reaction score
Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Re
Hey folks,

After reading a trip report by Amicus detailing one of his recent Connecticut river paddling camping trips I thought what a cool idea that would be. I plan on getting a kayak next year, but at the very least I do have a couple canoes to work with. I am thinking of draggin out a small group of friends and I am looking for some ideas in the New Hampshire/Vermont/Maine (not too far east Maine though, mostly west because of drive times) area. Basically I am looking for flat water trips that would mostly be able to be started and ended at the same spot (which means Lakes/Ponds and real slow moving rivers) since it would probably tough to get enough vehicles capable of moving the boats around. I do know about the remote sites on Lake Umbagog, though a max of 4 adults are allowed on site (not good for my uses.) Are there any other trips anyone knows of that would fit my criteria?????

Brian

sardog1 said:
I don't recall a four person limit??? Do you have a reference for the rule?

The reference comes from the NH Division of Parks and recreation. On their fee page (which covers all state parks in NH) states a 4 person (adult) limit. I assume it means for all sites, including the remote sites on Umbagog since it does not specifically say otherwise. Here is the link:

http://www.nhparks.state.nh.us/state-parks/rates.aspx

Brian

Richardson and Flagstaff in Maine both would meet your criteria. They are both almost totally undeveloped, very little boat traffic. Yout need to book remote sites on Richardson through South Arm campground. Flagstaff doesnt require booking sites, but if you want a fire, you need to grab one of the developed sites otherwise there a lots of places to camp.

Note that one limitation with paddling around on lakes is that the breeze tends to come up when you least want it. Inevitably, you will paddle in on Saturday morning with nice flat water and when you get ready to paddle out on Sunday, you are paddling into whitecaps with waves breaking over the bow. The boat launch on Richardson is on the NW corner of the lake and this effect happens almost daily. If you try Flagstaff, buy a map of the lake and find a knowledgable local point to point out the channel that isnt there between the main lake and the upper lake except when the water is extremely high.

Moosehead tends to get rough and there are a lot of large boats. Flagstaff has a lot of sumerged logs and sandbars that tend to keep the big boats off of it. Richardson only has one boat ramp and the for some reason the big boats are pretty rare (although its fun to surf their wake).

If you really insist on a trip w/out car-spotting, the Moose River Bow Trip is a famous example that is within your stated range. A lot on that appeared in a thread right here.

For myself, I'll take a river over a lake any time, for a multi-day trip, for some of the reasons indicated above. The plusses of a good river more than justify the inconveniences of ferrying your boats and vehicles.

If you widened your horizons on that, I would recommend the 51-mile stretch of the Conn. River we paddled in a weekend in 2002, from E. Ryegate to Hanover, NH. No portages, which is a big plus, and more of those great UVLT river-access campsites. The last 10-15 miles could be omitted without much loss, as they comprise the widening of the River behind Wilder Dam, with loss of current, powerboats, etc.

I was recently reminded, our friend Dennis (McCoon), who owns a full size King Cab Dodge Ram pickup with full size bed and top rack as well, can easily haul half the U.S. Atlantic fleet and enough sailors to man said boats :D ......ok, ok seriously he could probably haul 3-4 boats (and a second car could take the rest of our gear.) So it looks like now we would have a way of transporting boats back and forth. This now leaves open the possibility of river trips also. So beside the one Amicus has suggested are there any other good ones????

Brian