page pond, meredith

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
If you drive through Meredith,NH you will see many signs that say Save Page Pond and Forest. I decided to take a walk in there. I parked at the end of the road where Moultonborogh Farm is off Rt 25, amd walked in the dirt road. In a quarter mile I turned right on a path and found myself on the shore of Page Pond. Then I started half bushwhacking, half using paths the rest of the afternoon in the forest.
Leavitt Quarry is not just one hole, but a whole area of mini-quarries. It looks like late 1800's. Does anybody know?(Silver Fox?). Was the stone used in town?
I saw a big snapper in a quarry pool.
I tried to find a summit with a view mentioned in an article in the local paper, but didn't, yet had fun bushwhacking from hilltop to hilltop.
This is the largest piece of wild land in town, and they need to buy it by the end of September. The Trust for Public Land is involved. Google it.

Thanks, rocket! Wish I had this map yesterday. I never made it to the Mill or brook. Will have to go back with friend.

Hi Grayjay

I am unsure as to where the quarried stone went but I will do a bit of research for you..There are several buildings in town that use large pieces of locally procured stone..

Granted the Page Pond Area is a beautiful spot had has been an area of controversy for several years.. There was at one point a plan to put 100's of homes in their..that didn't fly.. The land changed hands and is about to again...one plan call for establishing a commercial camp..see Winnipesaukee Wilds on Google..while no one in town wants this option it may happen if land doesn't go into Trust.. Many fixed income locals would like to expand the tax base, say there is enough protected land and say go build houses..time is running out to "Save Page Pond" as I understand the deadline is this weekend..

more info at

Save Page Pond, Meredith NH"

where did the stone go

Well Grayjay

your question about the stone got me thinking

I went down to the library..there were a couple of Meredith history books but no mention of any specific mining or quarrying in town..

I went out to the site,...via Quarry Road... and wandered around a bit on this fine fall day..On the way back in I thought I would check with the obvious source of information on this question..John Moulton of Moulton Farm...He said that for years stone ..he called it bluestone..was excavated on site and crushed there to be used by the state for various road construction projects in the area..At one time the dump trucks were parked at night in his door yard. This was back in his father's time at the farm so we were guessing 50-60 years ago...

so, as near as I can tell that is what was going on at the "Quarrys" in the Page Pond area......

It is pretty in there..a very wild place quite close to "downtown" Meredith...

oh...and nice map Jeremy..I may head in around the marshes for some fall color soon...

Last edited: