Parker & South (Wilson's Mills vicinity, ME)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
..drive thru Farmington, Rangeley, Oquossoc--follow Rt 16 just past Aziscohos Lake

Parker-2272'-Four individual moose sightings between Rangeley and Aziscohos in the early light; who knows how many i didn't see. Parked just off route 16 as the good dirt/gravel road toward Parker was chained at the road-no big deal. Started in the road (very easy going)- a bit foggy and 43 degrees at 530, down from 63 in Orrington when i left at 220.

There is old logging activity all over Parker, but the "roads/skids" are boggy, really brambly, filled with slash and "contour" rather than going "up"-better to walk in the woods proper. I don't think there's an obvious route on Parker so i went straight up the SW ridge-nothing of note til a short steep evergreen/blowdown band just before the summit which is heavily wooded-no view, no jar, no nothing--ugly little place. I went straight down the west side back to the road and the line was no better/worse than my ascent.

Headed west on Rt 16 to "Sturtevant Pond Rd" (Delorme) which is signed Middle Rd. The moose are thick up here--4 more along the road in 8 miles. I was in here last? year for Johnson so knew what to expect, a decently built road which isn't maintained terribly well--holes, big rocks, spiney rocks, but no bad erosion or broken culverts-you're fine if you drive slowly and carefully. I worked my way back Cranberry Pond Rd (no signs) and a few lesser roads to just west of

South-2230'-The hike was short and sweet. The logging contractor in here (long ago) had his act together, well planned/constructed log/skid roads and minimal slash left--clearly he didn't do Parker. Just headed "up", hopscotching overgrown, but no bramble/bog skid roads as i went and passing thru mature evergreen forest with light underbrush near the top. Top is wooded, no view, but a nice feel. A search of a few bumps turned up only one possible top. Had an easy descent by log road.

At the bottom I sat and basked in the sun (haven't seen it much) for about 15 minutes and headed home. Routine, easy, short (well, compared to the norm of late :) ) day---2 peaks, little of note-home by 1PM

jim