Parking on Danby-Landgrove Rd. (VT 10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
I should have scouted this out last week while I was in the area. Oh well. Do you guys know if there is any parking at the AT/LT crossing of Vermont Route 10?

you had me going for a minute there, as VT Rt 10 doesn't go anywhere near the Long Trail. (it goes from Gassetts to North Springfield).

But, on USFS 10, that you're talking about, there is parking there.

No idea if the road is open right now though.

According to the End to Enders Long Trail book that I have (which is the 2003 version, so admittedly could be outdated!), it indicates that there is a parking lot available at the Fire Road 10 crossing.

However, the next sentence reads: "Persistent vandalism makes this a very bad place to park." I've found that vandalism reports on the AT tend to be noted on www.appalachiantrail.org/updates, and I don't see any new updates about Fire Road 10, although there are a few vandalism reports for other roads in that area. :(

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes!

Vandalism, eh.
Maybe I'll switch to plan B.
I've already had to drive home with a car full of glass, and one less window (in February). Rats!
Emerald Lake State Park, here we come.
Thanks for the information.
Jim & Deb

If this is the road I'm thinking of, there is a large parking lot and a convenient outhouse. I've parked there many times without trouble myself, or seen vandalism to any other cars.

Tornnfrayed, where are you trying to get too?

Are you referring to the Danby-Mt Tabor Rd? I haven't been on it since winter but its a few miles down the road from me. I suspect its open and passable to the LT AT lot if coming from the West (Route 7).

An alternate is taking the Homer Stone Trail to the LT, its a very pleasant 2.5 mile walk on a gorgeous logging road along a babbling river. You can reach Homer Stone Rd just a couple miles north of Danby off Rt 7. The lot can accomodate a couple of cars. I hike there often after work with my pups and the trail is snow free to the LT and there is zero mud. There's a house right there and the folks are friendly, I've never heard of any problems. If you've not been to Little Rock Pond on the LT/AT, its a gorgeous spot and an easy hike from either Danby Mt Tabor Rd or the Homer Stone Trail.

PM me if you'd like more info/directions on any of this. I may take a ride up Danby Mt Tabor road tommorrow, anyhow, because I've been curious about it, too. FWIW, we drove the entire length of the Kelly Strand-Arlington Rd from Stratton Trailhead to Route 7 a couple weekends ago and with the exception of one front wheel drive car-sucking mud vortex (seriously there was an abandoned late model car there), we had no problems with the Outback and the road is mostly dry, as were the trails around Stratton.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide. The leaves here in Central VT have just opened and the grass is emerald green.

I've also had zero problems parking at any of the lots mentioned in this post. On Danby Mt Tabor Rd, there's a paved lot and the USFS is right at the base of the road, I've seen a ranger there many times. I would avoid parking near the Govn Clement Shelter off East Cold River Rd or on VT 103 (despite being a main road vandalisms have occured).

Last edited:
Torn&frayed:

I drove the road today and its open to the AT/LT lot.

I also hiked up the Homer Stone Trail and the stream at the top is running strong today. Its crossable, but would require rolling up the pants and taking off the boots. Hiking in the Little Rock Pond area this weekend would be best approached from the Danby Mt Tabor Rd.

:D

PS the trail is not muddy :)

Last edited: