Passaconaway via the Tri's, Sleepers and Whiteface 7/11/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
Okay, okay...so its been a while since I've been to the Whites to hike...since January actually and Mookie has been breathing down my neck to get out. So I figure it is july and I'm getting an itch to breathe some mountain air and Mookie is making a move on his 4k list and has an idea of bangin out four of them in one day...he gets me to agree and here it is...
We start at Pine Bend Brook TH at about 8 am and Scott is rearing to go while I'm wondering if should eat the banana i brought for breakfast. We start at a pretty good pace and have decent conversation until the trail decides it wants to woop up on my unfit and out of hiking shape heiny. My pace slowed to about nothing while i gasped for air and constantly wiped the sweat from face trying keep up with Mook....At this point I'm wondering if I'll make it through the day.
I finally catch up with Scott on North Tripyramid with my head and heart pounding and the worst case of nausia i ever got from hiking, doubting my abilities and asking why I chose this hike as a return hike.
A quick snack and some ridge/downhill walking quickly alleviated the bad feeling in my gut as my breathing returned to normal and my body recognized the abuse it has often felt in the mountains. The pace picked up again until the grade got steeper and i chose to go my own steady speed to climb and not try to keep up with Scott...and before I knew it, I had 38 of the 48 finished on the top of Middle Tri. No time for breaks or pics now...I'm feeling good and ready to slog on down to the South peak and partly down the slide to the Kate Sleeper trail...my favorite part of our day.
We strolled on through the rolling land of the Sleepers at a great clip dodging pile after pile of moose dung until the climb up to Whiteface, where i had stopped for a lunch break. Mookie was feeling eager to keep moving but my body wanted to refuel and hydrate at about the half way point of our venture. Up until this point, we hadn't seen a single person. As we were shouldering our packs once again, another hiker greeted us as he passed us by.
The 2.4 or so miles from Whiteface to Dicey's Mill seemed to flash by after recharging with lunch. I had been telling Mook all day that i would just pass by Passaconaway because I had been there before and I didn't really feel like going again but I made the trip any way. We passed by the few lookouts and saw a few other hikers and meandered down to the Square Ledge Trail which reminded us both of the Wampahoofus Tr on Mansfield.
Passaconaway Cutoff to Oliverian Brook trails went without a hitch aside of slipping into mud and crossing what seemed to be a beaver damn that flooded the trail. We finally reached the road after walking and running some of the OBT with wet feet and with about a three mile road walk ahead of us. Wanting to finish the day under our own power, we opted to run/walk the (to me) grueling mini trek back to the car and not hitch a ride...we finally reached the car after a small eternity just after 4pm... Pretty fun day...I have missed the Whites...

haha,
welcome back! and dont fall off like i did over the winter.
thanks for writing trip report, but you left out the best parts, ice cream and running into nif at the gas station!
cant wait to bang out that pemi loop with ya!