Passaconway and Whiteface from the Kank Nov 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Left Oliverian Brook trailhead just before 6, hoping to avoid too much warm snow up higher. The beaver dam keeps expanding on this trail- about 15 minutes or so from trailhead- very wet area.

Turning on Passaconway cutoff, no more tracks and snow was already getting heavy. Snow shoes helped a lot after last water crossing. Great views from the slide beyond junction with Square Ledge trail. Long steep slog up East side of summit proved very taxing with cement like snow. Usually this rocky side is coated with thick ice this time of year so there was some upside to the snow.

Messy postholes by moose- soon found the culprit sleeping alongside the trail- she took off quickly. Final push to summit showed Wolfgang's mark on rock by viewpoint.

Follwed Wolfgang's tracks down below Camp Rich and then broke trail to Whiteface. Followed some very large bear tracks for about a half mile on trail- at least 6-8 inches long. Never found that guy, though.

At Sleeper Trail intersection, found bareboot tracks leading to ledges which appeared to have come across Sleeper Trail from the Trips. Down in next col with Downes Brook, I abandoned my plan to continue to Tripyramids and my waiting bicycle. There was time to do it but fear of being too tired to safely descend Pine Bend, I headed down Downes brook. Not a nice trail this time of year- seemed like ten water crossings, not one blaze and very unkind rocks (rounded types covered with snow). There were some smashing views of the slides on East side of trail. Wonder if the Tuckerman skiers have ever tried this slide.

Gorgeous sunny day. A few degrees lower would have made for less effort but no complaints! So good to get out after lengthy absence from mountain therapy.

Great day, Laura. Looking forward to crossing your path many times again this winter. Hopefully ahead of you, I owe you a lot of broken trail, my hikah sistah!

:)

PS I still have your purple goggles, time to put those back in my pack!

Were the bear prints evenly gaited or was this the big one with the lame front right paw? Its been following some folks from time to time and been reported on Blueberry Ledge Trail and Dicey Mill Trail.

Hadn't heard about this, thanks, Dave Bear. Not a good time of year to cross paths with a still awake, human interested and disabled bear. Not planning to head that way until December, hopefully Ol' Smokey will be denned up.

Last edited: