Patagonia Houdini vs Wild Things Epic Windshirt?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
I am looking for a new non-insulated windshirt for the winter coming up. I find that it is a great item to complement a hoodless softshell. I currently have my eyes on the Patagonia Houdini (former Dragonfly) or the Wild Things Windshirt (the one made with Epic). Does anyone have any of thoughts on either of these items? The reason I am going back and forth is due to the fact that the Patagonia is lighter and would pack easily into a pocket and the fact that the Wild Things is cheaper and seems like it might be abit more substantial but I am not sure if it would compress small enough to go into a pocket of a jacket?

Thoughts?

I think a windshell would be an excellent garment to complement a softshell for cold winter hiking. I use a Patagonia Stretch Krushell (14 oz.) and really like it because it's a good compromise of breathability, wind resistance and snow shedding ability in below-freezing weather. I wear it all the time while winter hiking and simply adjust my insulation layers underneath as conditions change. It's great that the fabric allows moisture to pass through without having to even think about venting, similar to the softshell you already have but with more wind resistance. If the temps. are expected to be near or above freezing and precipitation is a possibility, I bring a w/b shell instead because the Krushell just isn't waterproof in moderate to heavy rain/sleet/wet snow. The heavier Epic windshirt would probably be more durable than the Houdini. I think the Krushell has been replaced by the Ready Mix, which would be even more durable.

Last edited:
all i'd say is that patagonia gear is of the highest quality. expensive but i think worth it.

btw--has anyone else noticed that patagonia's (and almost every other gear maker's) stuff is gettin' bigger? small ain't that small anymore it seems. i guess we americans like our chow!! :) ;) :D

Bruno in fact your correct, the average size of americans has grown and many companys are faced with making changes to accomadate this including airlines, every sit near a really big person? Im not dissing anyone here but it is an issue.

Marmot DriClime

Can't give any firsthand comments on the two you asked about, but have you looked at the Marmot DriClime windshirt? It's my favorite piece of hiking clothing - comfortable and versatile.

wild things - I like to support local stuff when possible. They are in NH I went into the patagonia store on newbury st in boston recently and wanted to puke at the prices. expensive is one thing - but that store seems to be even higher than normal. not one item on sale - and I asked!!

You can go wrong with Wild Things. Stuff is designed for the serious alpinist and made to very high standards.

Should last a long time.

Plus, you might even see owner John Bouchard if you stop by the N. Conway store. He's one of the few Americans certified as a French guide in Chamonix and the first ascentionist (solo) of Back Dike on Cannon.

Knows his stuff for sure.

cb

Oldsmores said:
Can't give any firsthand comments on the two you asked about, but have you looked at the Marmot DriClime windshirt? It's my favorite piece of hiking clothing - comfortable and versatile.

The Driclime is a great piece and I use it as my baselayer in the deep off winter.

ChrisB said:
Plus, you might even see owner John Bouchard if you stop by the N. Conway store. He's one of the few Americans certified as a French guide in Chamonix and the first ascentionist (solo) of Back Dike on Cannon.

I thought John moved to Oregon and his ex-wife is now owner?

link

Last edited:
giggy said:
wild things - I like to support local stuff when possible. They are in NH I went into the patagonia store on newbury st in boston recently and wanted to puke at the prices. expensive is one thing - but that store seems to be even higher than normal. not one item on sale - and I asked!!

i agree!! wild things stuff is great!! and local stuff is better!!! check on the internet site for patagucci sale stuff. they sometimes run web specials. :eek:

While I do really want the Wild Things Epic, I found the other day from a guy in the store that I could not compress it enough to meet my needs. I want something with a hood that I can stuff in a pocket of running shorts, or into my softshell without bulk. Unfortunately the Epic cannot do that. But this does speak highly of Wild Things customer service. They defiantly could have lied to me and I would have believed them.