Synthetic Insulation Jackets

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
I am looking for a good insulated jacket and was always planning on getting
a MH or Marmot down insulated parka or even a Feathered Friends for around camp and at rest stops.
I am now second guessing myself and thinking of either a:
Wild Things Belay jacket with Epic fabric and Primaloft 1 insulation or
Patagonia DAS Jacket with Polarguard 3D insulation

They look like good jacket from great USA manufacturers I question whether they provide
similiar insulation values as the more bulky and puffy jackets of down?
Anyone out there have either of these and any thought or links to data on the two synthetic options as far as warmth?

Any thoughts, experieces or info greatly appreciated

Have a great Holiday all
Al

Synthetic Jacket -Highly recommended:

Al: i don't know if they have this one around in men's - but i'll pass along the info anyway. i found the following jacket last winter at northernmountain.com site. they did have men's last year & i am really surprised they still have women's. to be honest, i don't know what size you are but there's no reason a guy couldn't wear this jacket in a larger size. there's nothing about it that would shout "i'm a women's jacket"!
last year i needed a really warm jacket quickly - i had signed up for an ice climbing class during the time when we were having those sub zero temps & i needed a belay jacket to keep me toasy while standing around waiting to climb. since i hadn't planned on another purchase i looked and looked for the best one i could find (warmth - features - durability) for the best possible price.
i am surprised to find you can still get this jacket & on sale:

http://www.northernmountain.com/NMSMain.asp?Option=Detail&ID=WGOLITESixMonthNightParka02&Dept=CW&Cat=CW4&SubCat='CW41'&ClearLast=Yes

it's the golite 6 mos parka. let me tell you this jacket is AWESOME for that price. the second i put it on my body heats right up. and it packs down really nice into your backpack. plus the hood, which is also insulated came in very handy. you will not find a warmer jacket for $50 i can just about guarantee it. and it only weighs a bit over 1#. seriously check it out.

FOLLOW UP: FOUND IT ON A FEW OTHER SITES IN MENS:

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp/level1_id/56/level2_id/75/level3_id/76/item/102434/level2_title/Men's+Technical+Wear/level3_title/Down+and+Insulated+Tops

http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-060416

Last edited:
I've had a baffled down parka before and currently own:
1) EMS Primaloft Sweater
2) EMS Quilted Down Jacket
3) Marmot Primaloft Belay Parka

I would say the answer to which is best depends entirely on what your intended use is. If you want the maximum warmth per ounce, the answer is definitely down, no question. Which is great if the jacket is going to stay in your pack all day and only come out in camp.

But with the primaloft jackets, I feel free to pull them out of the top of my pack at every rest stop with impunity, regardless of whether or not I'm sweating up a storm or if the weather is wet or snowy.

I rely on a sleeping bag for warmth at night and prefer the Primaloft jackets at this point. YMMV.

I'm with Dave on primaloft. I just started using the DAS parka, I don't have much feedback yet, I might after new years. It did do well in 20° windy NYC weather recently with but a t shirt on underneath.

Just from looking at it, I wonder if the wild things belay parka would be warmer.

Thanks Warren Dave M. and Shadowcat

I found the DAS on sale and ordered it. I kind of like the Wild Things but who can tell from advertisement web pages, everything sounds like the best thing.
The Wild Things comapres pretty closely with same amount of insulation and I like the epic fabric a little better. I will try on the DAS and see if I feel good in it and like the features.

Maybe I will return for the WT Belay I don't know, but at least I have made up my mind of buying a synthetic jacket.
Thanks All
Al