Patten Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Grabbed a couple of nights next weekend at BSP and looking for feedback on grocery stores, diners and fast food in Patten Maine.

Trying to plan shopping and eating- plus a picky 11 year old who eats almost nothing:rolleyes:

Thanks for any feedback.

Eric

That's some sparsely-inhabited country.

I think I took this photo within a couple miles of "downtown" Patten

Google maps shows an "Ellis Family Market" at 5 Main St, and one or two more grocery options down in Sherman Mills. Similarly, one pizza place in Patten, one a little north of town, and one in Sherman Station. Nothing at all listed under "diner".

Last edited:
THanks- I thought/hoped Patten was similar to Medway/Millinockett. No prblem in making sure i have what I need in advance and using the local place in Patten as emergency backup.

Nice shot by the way!

Its been awhile but I dont remember much in Patten beyond some nice views of Katahdin. I expect you have to go down to Medway for anything more than general store type items.

Last edited:
In Patten:
Ellis Market is a full-on small town grocery store. You can get whatever you need there. I'd stop at filet mignon and morels but otherwise you'll be fine.
There is a diner/pizza joint, too, although I'm usually disappointed with the meal. The hardware store across from the grocery has white gas and other basic camping stuff you might have forgotten.

Closer to BSP:
For local culture and last minute items, you can stop in and Joe and Sue at Matagamon Wilderness Camps just before the BSP Matagamon gate (right at the crossing of the E. Branch). They have the bare essentials and will serve you fine sandwiches, hot coffee, cold beer, or whatever else you fancy. Plus they tell good stories and are awfully nice people.

When we talk about non-motorized recreation contributing to the economy, the motorized folks shout from the roof tops that we (the non-motorized) don't actually spend money. Anecdotally, they are largely right so don't be shy about dropping a bit of coin in a place that supports the landscape you love (or will soon love, if you haven't been there).

If you want some data and info regarding tourism spending and non-motorized recreation in the area, look here

... and have a blast!

Thanks Spencer. Helpful. Will likely stop off and get sandwhiches for lunch and try and spread what little money we have around.

THanks for the link too. Read some of it- will try and finish up later. Makes an interesting read. Never been to this part of the park so looking forward to it.

you won't be sorry about the north end. Do the Traveler Loop at all costs.

Other good and easy trips from South Branch:

Black Cat Mtn.
Barrell Ridge
Big Peaked Mtn. (easy bushwhack from Fowler Trail)
Howe Brook Falls

If the 10-mile Traveler loop is too much for some of your party, head up N. Traveler and return one day and head up Peak of the Ridges the other day. The stuff in between is excellent but if you need to make the days shorter you'll get most of the reward doing it this way.

If you want a gentle, lowlands walking day, you can do various loops around (and over if you want) Trout Brook Mtn. and Horse Mtn., seeing some beautiful ponds. Good family kind of walking.

If Turnbill pipes in and suggests the really nice open glades on the south slope of Black Cat, ignore him :p

I are going back in September with some old guys ;) and Traveler Loop is on the schedule.

This is with my 12 year old semi hiking son so I am going to likely try some of the other easier hikes- plus some canoeing and fishing- we are staying at the Upper Pond Lean -to.

Quick trip so we'll take it as it comes.

Thanks!