Paul Smith's lean-to's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
So we have made a decision to turn an annual canoe trip into a camping trip this year due to new babies and conflicting schedules. We are therefore staying at a lean-to at Paul Smiths. I believe it is on St. Regis Lake, but i don't have any other details. The alumnist who has reserved the lean-to hasn't been there in years(like 20) and can't respond with any certainty to my questions. I am hoping to get some here. So here goes...

Are the lean-to's near the water and is there space to launch a canoe/kayak?
We have a key to the gate, but i don't know how closely to the lean-to's we can park. Anyone know?
Firewood...is there a forest where we can scrounge wood, or must we bring our own? This of course makes the answer to the 2nd question more important.

Finally, can anyone give me an overview or description of the area we will be camping in? Is it very secluded or more of just an open space with a few lean-to's? And being on/near a college campus...is it rowdy and loud?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

rtrimarc said:
Firewood...is there a forest where we can scrounge wood, or must we bring our own? This of course makes the answer to the 2nd question more important.
Please DO NOT bring in your own firewood. See the NYSDEC message on that here.

That was helpful, thanks.

Thanks for the warning regarding firewood. It will be local wood we bring in. No worries.

Anyone with any answers to my questions?

Take some photos and post them, love to see what they are like. I was a student there before the lean-to's were built and haven't be back to Paul Smith's since the early 70's. One of these days I'll get back there.

I can't be of much help, but a few years ago, while paddling around St. Regis Lake, we stopped at a couple of the Paul Smith's lean-tos. I have no idea which one you're heading for, but perhaps what we saw is typical. They were both secluded and heavily forested, and both were located up a pretty stiff, but short, climb from the water. They didn't show much sign of use, and apart from being heavily graffiti-ed, were well maintained.

St. Regis Lake allows motorboats, of course, so expect some noise.

Hope this helps.