Pawtuckaway 11-22-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
Having caught the hiking bug & learning the So.NH opportunities from the family camp in Epsom, and had a great time in Pawtuckaway, back again

( 1st time with a local friend late Oct - then 2nd joined up with Kevin - Jude & Emma two weeks ago)

Unseasonably crisp morning - VFFT Joe (Oldmanwinter) & his wife backed out, but local hiker & history buff Bob Kilham (REK) showed up right after I got settled & changed into the hiking boots. After a short introduction we set off up the No.Mountain Bypass. Bob has all sorts of stories & knows the park very well, and I'm just loving the exposure to this - we soon come up on an old farm foundation, and an old cemetery with civil war veteran buried here. Later on we discuss the plane crash, and Bob knows that, and the locations of wells ( Kevin & Jude's dog Emma found one the hard way!) Its darn cold, so as Bob would stop to tell his stories, I'd push him a little to get moving before catching a chill. We get up thru to the Boulder Field, admire them, and then finally up past the Devil's Den at the foot of No. Pawtuckaway 2 hikers are bushwacking up - the first people we've seen today - 3 more come thru as we're rounding our way up to the reflector. A great day and a great view out to Portsmouth & Kittery - Bob points out Agamenticus on the horizon. As we start across the No Mtn ridge, though the view is good we're seeing a little spitting snow - and my water bottle is freezing up. Bob points out the 3 summit markers I had missed my first time here - and we proceed on to a couple more good observation points before getting back to our cars. Bob leaves me with some great maps he's printed, and some great history! Thanks Bob

Meanwhile getting into Center Deerfield ( I like that Lazy Lion Inn - offers internet, good coffee, desserts meals & full bar :- ) - the source of heavy smoke - the FD is burning down the neighbors house. Hmmmm???

Well despite going out in cold temps, and having a nasty cold myself, I felt great getting the exercise, meeting a new friend, and earning a late afternoon nap in from of the camp stove :- ))

Peter McLaughlin
Plymouth, MA

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/568871493WNnAlw

Last edited:
VFFT Tobit & his wife backed out

I have a wife?!?! :confused: :eek: Not sure how you came to this assumption but thankfully you are wrong. :p

Glad to hear you had a nice hike, I am just walking in the door from stomping around the Ossipees. Just brewed a cup of tea and now I'm sitting down to edit pics and write up a report. :cool:

Nice!

I was beginning to think that crash site was an artifact of a poor memory. Next time out you can show us! Never saw the gravesite before, either.

Will try to go again in a couple of weeks, will keep you posted.

KDT

Thanks Peter, I had a fun time. I tend to be a bit of a chatterbox in P-way, I like the place so much. I think its intresting that the hemlock grove on North Mt seems to be a favorite place. That little bushwack we did below Microwave was into an area that I had not been into before. I sense some heavy exploration coming up. I completely forgot about the FD burning that house.
See you on the next one!
Bob

I have a wife?!?! :confused: :eek: Not sure how you came to this assumption but thankfully you are wrong. :p

Glad to hear you had a nice hike, I am just walking in the door from stomping around the Ossipees. Just brewed a cup of tea and now I'm sitting down to edit pics and write up a report. :cool:

Tobit - Its partly for my wife I enjoy hiking so much - we'll leave it at that!:D

I'll look up your Ossipee report & be in touch next time up! Give my regards to the missus.

Peter

I had my first trip through Pawtuckaway with Kevin of KJE as well.

Pawtuckaway keeps me sane in southern NH, and I'm glad you find it as enjoyable as I. So much unique geology and history in the park. Next time you go...I'd be interested in joining...esp. if it is on snowshoes!