peakbagging by style?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you trying to complete peakbagging lists by hiking method?

• Total voters

jmegillon149

Reaction score
the season thing had me thinking: does anyone out there want to try to summit each peak in different styles. While I want to complete them all, but don't care about doing each in a season/month, etc.; I have toyed with the idea of doing them all as part of both a backpack and a day hike. I have also thought of solo and with people. Not sure if I'll do these things, these were ideas from my bagging "prime" (that time between peaks 10 and 30, when I was most agressive, wrote a thread about this long time ago).

Just wondering if anyone else out there has any style-bagging preferences.

Last edited:
Whoo-hoo! I’m in the lead!

Thirty of my initial climbs of the 48 White Mountain Fours were done solo, so it would be kind of nice to do the other 18 (actually, it’s down to 17, now) that way eventually, but right now I’m more concerned with getting my ladyfriend, Susan, up the 17 4000-footers she needs to complete her White Mountain/New England/Northeast lists.

Then there’s still the 27+four Catskill peaks we need for that credit, and scores (okay, hundreds) of 3Ks to worry about before I try for compass points or bare feet or backwards or full moons or whatever.

jmegillon149 said:
the season thing had me thinking: does anyone out there want to try to summit each peak in different styles.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has any style-bagging preferences.

At one time I thought about co-ed naked bushwhacking but changed my mind due to lack of interest.

First round thru I just wanted to get it done...
Now I do not care about lists so much..loosely I am working on seasons - with no real goals...I also like the idea of trying to do the peaks via different trails each time, when possible.

Well, it wasn't by design, but most of my lists were done solo. My wife did Balsam Lake in the Catskills with me when we were dating (also counts for Fire Tower list) - other than that I didn't have partners for any of my initial Northeast hikes. I've sometimes wondered how many other solo 115ers are out there. Seems like an appropriate time to ask.

Last edited:
I also started mostly hiking solo and have kept track of the peaks that I've summitted that way. 17 of the 48 at this point if I remember correctly. Now that I've made so many friends through the boards I rarely hike solo, but eventually I hope to get to all of them by myself.

Only goal I have other than the lists is to summit Adams in every month of the year. I still need April, October, November, December, having been thwarted on each at least once. My luck with October has been particularly lousy with 4 failed attempts! November was my most serious failure, back in 1979. We nearly lost a member to the elements, literally dragging down the Airline. Believe it or not, that was our safest exit! Weather reports were not that accurate back then, and we were pinned high on King Ravine with a sudden storm. With any luck, I'll get there.

my votes

For the Catskill 3500 I plan to complete them all solo eventually, so I checked that option. I checked other, becuase I plan multiple rounds, maybe the grid (all 35 in each of the months) eventually.

For the ADK 46, I only have plans to complete them one time, thus I checked the last option.

Bobby said:
I'm just looking to hike. I do a lot of solo's because of my schedule.

Concur with Bobby on this one. I did roughly the first half of my 48 solo. Then I went on some AMC hikes, then with VFTT'ers, and then set up a few of my own hikes with groups. I prefer a small group of friends (at most) when I hike now.

I have done most list hikes solo because of my crazy unpredictable schedule. I am just happy when I have time to hike. I have pretty much sworn off completing any more lists. I look for something that appears interesting on the map or in a book. It could be a stream that holds promise of waterfalls or steep areas with a potential for good views. Might include a summit, might not. I think I actually prefer places like gorges, the Shawangunks, Hudson Highlands, or the Taconics - places where there may be no real summits - or none on lists. There I can enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I'm currently working on my first "list", the Catskills 3500's. I'm just doing them to do them. I prefer hiking with someone to share the experience with, whether it be a single or group doesn't matter, though I do prefer smaller groups.

Kevin

My quest to bag the NH 48 started as a Boy Scout hike over the Franconia Ridge and then Washington. Now it's just myself, Sharon and Rick, (The Three Amigos) all of us former Boy scout parents that enjoyed hiking more than the Boy Scouts did, so we have slowly continued to pick away at a "list". We presently have 29 to 31 of the NH 48 completed, each of us have one 1 or 2 that the other doesn't, but we would all like to finish the 48 together on the same peak.

We didn't originally plan on completing the list; we just hiked for the enjoyment and the Views From The Top. Our hikes have been a mixture of day hikes, backpacking and Hut trips in both the summer and winter.

Sharon is planning on moving south at the end of the summer so we are on a quest to finish the NH 48 this summer. I know most think it is easy pick off 18 peaks in 3 months, but Rick and I are married with wife’s that don’t hike and Sharon is single with a pretty open schedule so the hard part is getting our 3 schedules together. If we can't get the time to get up north and pick off a 4000 footer, we are hiking Monadnock to keep in shape.

I have to admit finishing the 48 would be great, but I don't think it will mean as much as all the great times I have had hiking with good friends. Every hike has it’s own story that we can think back on and remember. the views, the weather, the people we met and the laughs we had. It’s these memories that are important to me, not the fact that I competed a “LIST”. :D

Style is Everthing

My style is to very simple. I hike with a group of very competant old friends. We turn back or hunker-down if it gets too ugly. Enjoy great views and good converstion and a few beer upon return.

peakbagging fades into simple enjoyment

I almost finished the Winter NH4Ks this past March. 2 more day trips would have done it. there's always next year :rolleyes:

After the winter NH4Ks I have decided to NOT bag any more peaks. I will not keep track of which mtns I hike and whether or not I summit.

The lists were great (up through NEHH) and got me to bushwack and learn a lot.
I just need to make sure the lists serve me and not vice-versa.

I do hike with some other friends who are peakbagging and share wisdom and experience on peaks I've already hiked, and that's cool for them.

I also started Fishing... a much less strenuous outdoor hobby. My ankles and knees thank me. :)

Double Bow said:
I care about when I get there (month, season, etc) but I don't care how.

I perfer company and do most of my hiking with others but it's not something I track.

This proves it: EVERYONE draws the line somewhere! Unless of course I'm feeding new ideas...

Interesting to see that people are more concerned with dates and seasons than with the style thing. Like I have said before, I may work on the solo/group list, and less likely the dayhike/backpack one (though the Tecumseh's of the world seem pointless overnight) - but don't have an interest in dates.

Of course I am still leaning towards ending my true peakbagging after the NH/VT 4Kers. I am sure I will record when/if I happen to do Maine or ADK peaks, but as far as active pursuit goes, probably not going to bother.

As of right now, I have only recorded one time for each pak and haven't even written down the winter dates, I know which of these I have done; same with how I did them each time - just don't have exact dates.