Peakless winter wilderness camping in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElBrendano

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice jaunt in the Maine woods on skis or snowshoes that would provide some nice isolation and a good place to try out winter camping? Is camping/skiing/snowshoeing allowed in any logging industry-owned lands?

well maybe, yes and Uh, yes

:) First a lot of the paper comp. Roads are not plowed in the winter. The ones that are if not posted are OK to go on, That said, they are plowed for big rigs and do not have wide shoulders most of the time, so be advised if it's narrow go at your own risk.

As far as places to hike, there are plenty of places to hike and camp some off the beaten path some not. The Bigelows see hikers most of the winter and you can either camp in the lean-to’s of tent. Mt. Abram in Kingfield has an old fire wardens cabin that people use but don’t expect a warm cozy cabin. It’s more of an old fallen down log cabin with holes all through it and a roof with an old patched up stove (bring your own wood or expect to get there early enough to go out and hunt wood to burn.)

Off the beaten path a little is Mosquito Mtn. in the Forks, Maine (not far from where they do white water rafting) This little jewel is only about 23,000 ft but has some of the greatest views you will see in Maine.
To get there go to the forks take a right just before the bridge in the forks go on that road until you get to tiny Moxie village. You know when you get there because you either have to take a right or left or you will run into Moxie lake. Take a right and follow along moxie pond for 1.7 miles. (You may have to eather snowshoe or ski the 1.7 mile on this road depending on the road condition. (This road is also used as a snowmobile trail) The trail is on the right and across from a camp. If you have a GPS the trail head is at;
N 45*19.595’
W 69*51.423’
The trail is marked with reddish paint in the shape of a bear paw. The trail has been well brushed out and you will see more paint after you get up the trail a ways. Its about 1.76 miles to the top.

If you want a really easy hike stop by the AT below Rangely where it crosses the main road and hike into Piaza Rock lean-to. It’s about two miles and the trail is well trod. Then, if you feel like going further, head to the top the next day.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I tend to like Acadia in the winter...

I don't think they want you camping there but I see people do it. It's beautiful in the winter and a lot less people... The Schoodic peninsula would also be great. The picture was taken from the Bee Hive at Acadia looking towards the town of Bar Harbor..

-Kaibar

The "Denali of the East"?

Crusoe said:
:)
Off the beaten path a little is Mosquito Mtn. in the Forks, Maine (not far from where they do white water rafting) This little jewel is only about 23,000 ft but has some of the greatest views you will see in Maine.
I would hope so! Tough to get a sled up that high. Bring oxygen. :)