Pemi Loop, Aug 15-16, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerMouth61

Reaction score
In the 'burbs a few miles north of Boston.
The Pemi Loop hike was great. I left home a bit before 6 AM on Saturday and was on the trail by 8. Bondcliff, a series of crags and ledges near Mt Bond, was spectacular but by the time I got to Galehead hut my quads were shaking with fatigue. I hung my hammock and food bag as it got dark about 8 PM, after 12 hours of hiking.

I was back on the trail at 6 the following morning and ate breakfast on top of Mt Garfield a couple hours later. I had to climb up a waterfall to reach the top; don't know how you get down going the other way. I didn't reach the car until 7 pm, for a two-day total of 25 hours, 34.3 miles, and 10,320 feet of hiking. My legs were so tired I had to stop and lie down 3 times in the last 3 miles, even though the trail was perfectly flat and level

I rode my bike to work the next and it felt good, but every time I got up from my desk my legs took awhile to loosen up again.

You can look at some of the photos I took at this link.
My trip report is in the form of comments alongside each photo. Just click on the first photo to enlarge it, scroll down so both photo and comments are visible, then use the arrow keys to advance the slide show.

(You don't need a Facebook account to see the photos.)

Great hike and an awesome photo account of the whole thing! Shows us what we missed with our seriously shortened attempt at this route a few weeks ago - except our plan was 5 days, not 2! Looks like the weather was amazing.

The "waterfall" near the top of Garfield is indeed fun coming down. :eek: We did it in that direction last year with 25# packs and the stream in full flow. On about the second step down from the top I stepped in to close and basically had the full flow into my boot until I could regain my balance and step away. Lots of fun! It really isn't all that bad as it looks though...

Thanks for sharing the journey!

Thanks, mtruman

Thanks for the kind words, mtruman.

While planning my Pemi Loop trip I found your trip report of hiking the Bonds with your daughter. I found your report inspiring and I learned about the PCT hanging method and used it on my hike.

<http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html>

Since I got back from my trip, I've been weighing everything hiking related on my kitchen scale and cutting things off my old, heavy backpack. The pack started at 4lbs 12oz, and now weighs 2lbs 10 oz. I'll try it out on Mt Washington over Labor Day.

Nice to meet you on Bondcliff and again near Guyot. I was the hiker who's pic you took at Bondcliff; thanks!

Looks like you had a great time. Any meteors?

happy trails :)

Hey, it was great to meet you on Bondcliff!

Just this morning I was admiring your photos of The Captain and the fox who joined you for lunch. Truly beautiful photos. Everyone wants to know how close that fox came to you. I'm guessing it kept its distance and you had a long lens.

By the way, how'd the shots of you on the classic Bondcliff rock come out?

On a bike ride this weekend, I took one photo that I'm proud of. Check out the barn and stone silo at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116466&id=706081291&l=583242a398

Next weekend my wife and sons are joining me for a couple of day hikes: Tuckerman Ravine Trail and Wildcat Trail to Nineteen Mile Brook Trail.

Nice! No, the fox looks a little odd because it was a small lens and very close. It was after being in the area and getting used to me for a long time.

If you can, include Mt. Hight summit in your hike ;)