Pemi Loop - Thursday, June 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
Route: Did the Pemi Loop counter-clockwise starting from Lincoln Woods, and added the side trips to West Bond and Galehead.
Time: 12:14:04
Total Miles: 33.4
Total Elevation: 9760' gain (19,520' gain + loss)
Peaks (in order): Bondcliff (4265'), Bond (4698'), West Bond (4540'), South Twin (4902'), Galehead (4024'), Garfield (4500'), Lafayette (5260'), Lincoln (5089'), Liberty(4459') and Flume (4328')

My friend TC and I drove over to run/speed hike the Pemi Loop. It's worth noting right off the bat that TC did the entire run wearing his Vibram Five Fingers. I didn't think he'd last past Mt. Bond, but he proved me wrong. While he suffered his fair share of sharp stumps and rocks, he toughed it out and completed the run wearing them the entire time. I was most impressed!

Play-by-play:
Section: Lincoln Woods to Bondcliff
Miles: 9.1
Time: 2:09:47
Notes: We ran most of the flat and uneventful Wilderness trail for the four and a half mile so duration until the cut-off to climb up Bond. Made good time going up and once above treeline, the 40 or so mph winds knocked us around like a prize fighter. Had a snack at the summit and continued on.

Section: Bondcliff to Bond
Miles: 1.2 (10.3 total)
Time: 33:46
Notes: Steep uphill, we power-hiked it the best I could. Reached the top, hung out on the summit a bit, and moved on.

Section: Bond to West Bond
Miles: 1.0 (11.3)
Time: 26:02
Notes: Enjoyed the climb down Bond, running the sections we could and made the left turn to West Bond. The climb to the peak isn't very arduous, but we've both had other big training runs recently (well, TC had a big multi-day bike ride) and our tired legs were evident.

Section: West Bond to South Twin
Miles: 3.3 (14.6)
Time: 1:16:09
Notes: Ran into the first other people of the day, and then saw some more near Guyot Mt. Wind still very prominent and the gusts knocked us around some more.

Section: South Twin to Galehead
Miles: 1.3 (15.9)
Time: 38:34
Notes: Wicked steep decent that goes on forever. Careful footing required.

Section: Galehead to Garfield
Miles: 3.4 (19.3)
Time: 1:34:33
Notes: Ran past the AMC hut and tagged Galehead. Then went into the hut to refill our water and talk to the hut workers for a bit. Then we were off to Garfield. Steep climbs here kicked our butts. Very warm here also, and I was sweating like a banshee. Not too pleasant, but it was a great workout.

Section: Garfield to Lafayette
Miles: 3.5 (22.8)
Time: 1:48:38
Notes: Up and over the speed bumps and a long ascent up Lafayette. We rejoiced upon reaching the top, as this was the tallest peak and the longest climbs were over with. TC's feet began hurting him pretty bad here. Lot's of small rocks so we slowed down the pace some for here on out.

Section: Lafayette to Lincoln
Miles: .9 (23.7)
Time: 21:41
Notes: Wind begins to die down significantly, which was nice. We ran much of the way to Lincoln, making decent time despite TC's ailing feet.

Section: Lincoln to Liberty
Miles: 2.9 (26.6)
Time: 1:03:03
Notes: Pretty long section here, but a fairly pleasant one. I was in good spirits, as I was feeling pretty strong and I knew we were getting pretty close to being done.

Section: Liberty to Flume
Miles: 1.2 (27.8)
Time: 38:50
Notes: Slow going during this stretch. Hamstrings are yelling at me at this point, and TC's feet continue to yell at him. Feeling great on the flats and downhills, but uphills are tough.

Section: Flume to the Finish
Miles: 5.6 (33.4)
Time: 1:35:43
Notes: Got a little confused on the summit of Flume, as I thought we missed the Osseo trail and we needlessly backtracked, when in fact we were going the right way. Oh well, this just tacked on another tenth of a mile. Enjoyed the soft downhills provided by the Osseo, and we ran much of them. Rejoiced upon reaching the Wilderness Trail, as it was only 1.4 miles to go from there. Ran much of this, and it felt great to finally reach the bridge.

Good day!

Good work Jamie! So when do we get to see the pictures? :) The 1-day Pemi Loop is one thing I wasn't ready to try before I left New England. Maybe once I'm as old and disciplined as you I'll come back to give it a go :p

Wu, you're not trying to start trouble are ya?

No cool-down lap?????

Outstanding accomplishment! Congratulations to you and TC.

Alright, Jamie...

I was only going to do the 8 peak version tomorrow, but you've inspired me to add on Galehead and West Bond. I'm a CCW man, as well, since I'd rather run the Wilderness Trail in the morning rather than stagger home on it in the afternoon. If I bonk on the Osseo Trail, at least they can roll me downhill!

How much did you eat and drink on your trip? I have a 1.5 liter Camelbak that I will try to refill twice. I was also thinking about bringing 5 Clif Bars, 4 gels, and some BK chicken nuggets, along with a couple packets of Gatorade Powder and salt tabs... Last time I did it, I went through 3 powerbars, a packet of pop tarts, and 3.5 liters of water - and bonked hard on the Franconia Ridge... although I had included North Twin on that trip. Any last-minute advice?

albee said:
Alright, Jamie...

I was only going to do the 8 peak version tomorrow, but you've inspired me to add on Galehead and West Bond. I'm a CCW man, as well, since I'd rather run the Wilderness Trail in the morning rather than stagger home on it in the afternoon. If I bonk on the Osseo Trail, at least they can roll me downhill!

How much did you eat and drink on your trip? I have a 1.5 liter Camelbak that I will try to refill twice. I was also thinking about bringing 5 Clif Bars, 4 gels, and some BK chicken nuggets, along with a couple packets of Gatorade Powder and salt tabs... Last time I did it, I went through 3 powerbars, a packet of pop tarts, and 3.5 liters of water - and bonked hard on the Franconia Ridge... although I had included North Twin on that trip. Any last-minute advice?

It's only an extra two miles total to add the two peaks. Since they're so close, why not, eh?

Water: From Lincoln Woods to the Galehead Hut I consumed 100 oz of 1/3 strength Gatorade, and was still dehydrated. Filled up at the hut and made more Gatorade, finished that bladder between Liberty and Flume. Not as dehydrated during this stretch. Carried a handheld 20 oz. waterbottle from Flume on down, consuming that just before the Wilderness trail.

Food: Throughout the trip, I ate two packages of granola bars, three packages of pop-tarts, around 10 electrolyte pills, and about six Gu packets.

Your food plan sounds good to me. Similar to what I had yesterday (well, except for the fast food :) ). I was hungry like mad at the end though, but took care of that after the trek. Have fun!

If anyone is interested in doing this in 12 days, 14 hours, and 4 minutes let me know! :D

When I read stuff like this I actually beging to think I am not the same species as Artex and TC - great job Jamie - nice way to kill half a day...that is about how long it took me to loop the Castle Trail and Israel Ridge...old and fat is no way to go thru life. :(

Dr. Wu - that is so cool that you have a Pemi Loop hike planned with that group :eek: - let me know if you guys need any money - I am always happy to donate for the cause! :D

sapblatt said:
If anyone is interested in doing this in 12 days, 14 hours, and 4 minutes let me know! :D

When I read stuff like this I actually beging to think I am not the same species as Artex and TC - great job Jamie - nice way to kill half a day...that is about how long it took me to loop the Castle Trail and Israel Ridge...old and fat is no way to go thru life. :(

Dr. Wu - that is so cool that you have a Pemi Loop hike planned with that group :eek: - let me know if you guys need any money - I am always happy to donate for the cause! :D
Sorry Mike, no Pemi Loops for me. If you're "old and fat" I am "stupid and crazy." The only loop I'll be doing is that loop of sanity which is slowly closing in on itself. I'm lucky if I can walk around the block at this point.

-Dr. Wu

I would really enjoy reading the "1 beer per Pemi mile adventure". It would go something like this....

mile 2- slight buzz, feeling good, man i love nature

mile 5- just went past some falls, wish i brought my camera instead of this heavy 30 rack

mile 10- wow, really starting to climb, did I just see Elvis?

mile 15- I think i am at Garfield shelter, i should probably take a cat nap or sleep for 15 straight hours.

Just kidding, i never drink when i hike, but it sure would be some interesting reading. And it's the only real way to slow Jamie down without dipping his water bottle in Beaver tainted water.

sapblatt said:

Hey Mike... I'm part of that group. Would you really like to donate to the cause?

Awesome. I'm thinking about trying the pemi loop this summer. Which direction do you think is easier? I'm thinking in terms of which side is easier to descend if exhausted. I'll probably bring a bivy or something in case I don't make it. :)

Mongoose said:
Awesome. I'm thinking about trying the pemi loop this summer. Which direction do you think is easier? I'm thinking in terms of which side is easier to descend if exhausted. I'll probably bring a bivy or something in case I don't make it. :)

Without question, I prefer counter-clockwise. I think both ways are about the same in terms of difficulty, but by going CCW, you have a nice decent on the soft Osseo Trail which has minimal rocks and roots compared to the rest of the loop, followed by 1.4 miles on the Wilderness Trail to the parking lot. Going clockwise, to me it's kind of torture finishing the last 4+ miles on the long and flat Wilderness Trail.