Pharaoh Lake Mill Brook Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown

Reaction score
So, it's that time of year when I start planning my first trip of the year.

I plan on doing a multi day trip to Pharaoh Lake with a group of friends; doing a little swimming, a little rock climbing on Pharaoh Mountain, and a little bushwacking looking for the legendary Spanish treasure on the mountain.

I have just finished construction of a cart for my kayak (my own design, very sturdy, came out better than I thought it would...) and would like to take the kayak in with me to Pharaoh lake. I plan on using the Mill Brook Trailhead as we did last time, but using a vehicle with 4wd to go all the way in to the parking area. I don't remember the trail in to the Pharaoh Lake outlet all that well, so I'm looking for a little help remembering here.

My question is: do you think that the trail is doable with a 40 lb kayak on a cart being pulled behind? I'll probably carry about 1/2 of my gear and secure the rest in the kayak.

I'm actually planning on trying the trail with the kayak cart and gear on a solo hike first so I don't run into problems on a group trip. I'm the unspoken leader and hate to ruin the other guy's trip with my own issues.

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

The trail is mostly flat and pretty wide. I don't think you will have too much trouble carting your yak in there. There are a few spots where there are some good-sized rocks in the trail, but I think maneuvering around them shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing that might pose a problem is blowdown. I haven't been in there in over a year so I don't know how the trail held up to the wind storms we had this past fall and winter. Have fun.

Pharaoh Lake portage

This should be doeable. I was in there in mid-November and aside from water, the trail from the 4WD lot was OK with minimal blowdown. The first 50 yds had 2x8 planks barely above water. The road all they way in is quite rough requiring good clearance.

Having a boat in there should be great. From experience with pulling a boat, mininize the weight in the boat, keep it centered and low, and use straps over your shoulder to pull the boat from the bow rather than use your hand to pull. It is a going to be a long pull in.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The top of the kayak sits about 24" above the ground when loaded on the cart, and the cart is about 2/3 of the way down from the bow. It's an Old Town Double Helix which is supposed to be a tandem, but frankly fits one adult and a medium sized child.

I'd use seat in the stern for carying the gear, except for what's on my back, and I'll pull the boat with either the ice axe loops on my daypack or some kind of strap on the pack that I'll rig up.

Last year there were no planks over the first section of trail between the parking area and the register, we basically had to slog through the water. The only problem I may encounter there is that the wheelbase is about 38" wide.