Phelps soon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I'd love to climb Phelps soon but assume that both the DEC spring trails to avoid (not sure this is one) and the washed-out bridge make it an iffy destination right now. Without someone being there recently, impossible to know what the water level is. If this is not a good one for now, Big Slide could be the alternate for me. Opinions welcome.

Last edited:
I'd love to climb Phelps soon but assume that both the DEC spring trails to avoid (not sure this is one) and the washed-out bridge make it an iffy destination right now. Without someone being there recently, impossible to know what the water level is. If this is not a good one for now, Big Slide could be the alternate for me. Opinions welcome.

In general, hiking "ethics" mandates that those trails that are particularly prone to erosion (high altitude trails in alpine zones, steep trails in mountainous areas, and wet and/or muddy trails that will dry out with the advent of summer) should be avoided during the mud season in spring. Some management agencies institute "voluntary trail closures" during this season- which just means that hikers are encouraged (but not forced) to choose less sensitive trails to hike on during the mud season to limit damage to the trails caused by foot traffic.

Last edited: