Phelps Tabletop Colden Traverse Feasibility

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Planning on leaving South Meadow early in the a.m. and bagging Phelps and Tabletop (needed for 46er list) then time permitting heading over to Colden, returing via Lake Arnold, Avalanche Camp, Marcy Dam to South Meadow.

Estimates put this trip at just under 16 miles.

Has anyone attempted this traverse and is willing to provide commentary on the feasibility.

I am very fit and hike at a fairly fast pace.

Thanks for any input.

bridgeman said:
I am very fit and hike at a fairly fast pace.
Then it sounds reasonable, as long as you descend Phelps rather than attempt a bushwhack from Phelps to Tabletop. Than cannot be done fast without hamburger-izing your skin.

I assume that you're taking that little used trail fromIndian Falls to the Lake Arnald trail. You won't move too fast, since the trail isn't usually in the greatest shape, but it' a reasonabley efficient route that'll save you a significant amount of climbing.

I don't find Phelps to be a very fast section of trail from the intersection. It's very eroded and wet.

The Tabletop herdpath is in excellent condition, but beware of the mud on the ridge. It's deep and will cause you to slow down. Be sure to go a hunderd or more feet beyond the summit of tabletop for the views.

The remaining sections of trail are very nice, and should pose no issues.

Have a great trip.

I think it would go pretty quick if you jogged the first and last 3 miles down the jeep road to Marcy Dam. I would say light-hikers or trail runners would be fine when summiting. I third the notion that Bushwhacking Phelps->TT would take more time then its worth.

-percious

thanks for the replys. I wasn't planning on bushwacking from Phelps to Tabletop and yes Pete I was planning on utilizing the trail from Indian Falls area to Lake Arnold.

You mention that the trail is lightly used. Is the trail signed at the beginning, and if not is there a point of reference.

bridgeman said:
You mention that the trail is lightly used. Is the trail signed at the beginning, and if not is there a point of reference.
The sign is sometimes not there. It is soon after crossing the brook that leads to Indian Falls. You will probably see a path after crossing, take that path, and find yourself at the top of the falls. The view is nice, and it's a great place for a rest and a snack. It's about 10-20 feet past that path.

thanks again Pete. I was at Indian Falls last fall and didn't recall seeing the trail. If it's there I will find it.

I may end up staying at Marcy Dam Friday (9/8) which would make this hike, planned for Saturday a bit shorter.

I done those summits plus Marshall from ADK Loj in about 12 hours.
But it was winter and the lake was frozen so it went very fast.
Had fun.
Rejean.

I was on that Indian Falls/Lake Arnold trail last week and it's in fine shape for moving fast on. There's an obvious junction and signage on the marked trail, or if hanging at the falls just walk to the left and it's right there.

Bob

My personal preference would be to reverse it & do Colden First. I managed Colden & Table Top + Mt. Jo back in 2002 & was in no shape to run a 1/2 marathon of even 10K.

In 2002 I found the crossover to be in decent shape, it's one of the many trails that leave from just above Indian Falls. From memory it's easier to find from Lake Arnold Trail.

Mike P,
there's a method to my madness.

I need Phelps and Tabletop for my 46er list and I was figuring Cloden would be a bonus.

My only time on Colden I was in the clouds the entire time and the view was about twenty feet. If the weather is decent on this trip I would definitely put in the extra effort to make Colden.

I did this exact route in the order you have planned on september 15, way back in 2002. I was and still am a good strong hiker, but not a marathon runner type. I don't recall exactly how early I started, but had only planned to do Phelps and Tabletop, and the day started out cloudy, but cleared up real nice as the day wore on. I had quite a bit of time left, so I decided on the spot to head over and do Colden. I 'm very glad I did, it was near sunset when I summited Colden, but I had the top to myself, and I made it back out of the woods before it was dark enough for headlamps. It was a long day. When I wrote my report for the ADK 46er correspondent, she was a bit amazed that I did those 3 in one day. It was not my toughest day in the Adirondacks though. you should have no problem with an early start.

Pete_Hickey said:
I assume that you're taking that little used trail fromIndian Falls to the Lake Arnald trail. You won't move too fast, since the trail isn't usually in the greatest shape, but it' a reasonabley efficient route that'll save you a significant amount of climbing.

I was on that trail from Lake Arnold up to Indian Falls three weeks ago. It wasn't bad. We moved pretty quckly on it to Indian Falls.
I do believe that it is mostly downhill from Indian Falls to Lake Arnold. I say that because it was late in the day and I remember looking UP the trail frequently on the way up to Indian Falls.

We came up from Colden and camped near Indian Falls. We had done, Gray, Redfield, Cliff and Colden on Saturday. We left Indian Falls and did Tabletop early in the morning. We broke camp at Indian Falls at 6:15 AM we were back at the Loj by 9:30. Passed by Phelps. I didn't need that peak.

I don't think it is a very difficult walk in either direction.

;)

Zer0-G said:
I do believe that it is mostly downhill from Indian Falls to Lake Arnold.
?????

I guess 'Mostly' as in more than half. The trail from Indian Falls descends, but then starts climbing a bit before it gets to the junction of the trail from Avalanche Camp to Lake Arnold. From that junction it is a reasonably steep all uphill to Lake Arnold.

The whole hike is long, but it isn't a marathon or anything like that. Running isn't necessary if you keep a steady pace. There is a fair amount of ascent, though.

Pete_Hickey said:
?????

I guess 'Mostly' as in more than half. The trail from Indian Falls descends, but then starts climbing a bit before it gets to the junction of the trail from Avalanche Camp to Lake Arnold. From that junction it is a reasonably steep all uphill to Lake Arnold.

Well, I was tired and it was the end of the day, I am not surprised that I only remembered the uphill stretches. :eek:

Anyway, you could get all that elevation related information from the map...

All in all, I guess my point is, I didn't find that section as being a difficult hike even with a full pack. Even if I was going in the opposite direction that our friend is thinking of going.

I felt it was a pretty comfortable trail. It definately felt and looked like it doesn't get a lot of use. I liked that.

:)