Photo Gallery - prints for sale to support the site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MEB & Toe Cozy - I am really glad that you are happy with your prints. Thank you for the positive "reviews" and big thanks for supporting the site!!!

Now, as Bob said, I'd like to think that the photos make great presents. So, if anyone needs to get someone a present, drop me an email. ;) Seriously, it actually raises the issue that a person does not have to be a member here to order photos. If you know non-hiker people who might be interested in my photos, please pass the following link to them:

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/prints/index.html

Keith, thanks for the idea of the computer calendar, but I am now reluctant to post or email out larger images of my photos. I sent a decent sized (800x600 or so) copy of this image to my sister. She loved it and she forwarded it to one of her co-workers. The woman printed it out, matted it and framed it. She then had the gall to bring it into work and show my sister how well it came out. My sister said, "you know, he charges for those photos" and she replied, "yah, but I didn't feel like paying for it." My sister was shocked and I was a little miffed when she told me the story. So, I guess I am gun shy at this point. Besides, I really like having control over the prints and making sure that they look the way I want them to. I also get to "picture" them hanging in people houses and offices across New England, which is pretty cool.

Thanks,

- darren

Hi Darren,
Have you considered placing a full-sized watermark/logo-overlay on larger copies? The watermark allows a client to still see the full detail and quality of the image, but makes the image unsuitable for printing or copying.

BTW, great pictures! Any plans to offer your pictures from Italy for sale?
^MtnMike^

MtnMike,

Yah, I was just talking about watermarks with a friend of mine. I think I am going to put links from the photo gallery to large images with copyright watermarks on them. That way people can see them better but they can't print them out. It wouldn't work for desktop background images though.

I will be offering some of the pix from Italy for sale. So far, I have made prints of these shots and they came out really well:

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/Italy05/preview/IMG_7292-800.jpg

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/Italy05/preview/IMG_7134-800.jpg

http://www.vftt.org/gallery/Italy05/preview/IMG_7165-800.jpg

I have been very busy getting ready for my upcoming art show, so I haven't been able to update the photo gallery. I haven't even had the time to post my remaining Dolomite trip reports. I have a lot more pix from many more hikes.

I also have some new macro flower shots like this one. I'll post a bigger one in the gallery.

Thanks for the interest.

- darren

darren said:
I appreciate your ideas, but I have looked into making calendars before and it is just not feasible. It costs way too much to make them.
Thank you for the positive reviews. I hoped you would enjoy my photography. :)

- darren
What if you combined your great photos with some hiker (nude) shots?
Those Bare all calendars are selling up a storm. :eek: :D :p

Great photos! one photog to another.
Who did your web site, I'm interested just putting some of my pictures online to share my hikes with others instead of dragging out the projector.

CrisisBill said:
Great photos! one photog to another.
Who did your web site, I'm interested just putting some of my pictures online to share my hikes with others instead of dragging out the projector.

Thanks, glad you like them. Who did the website? Me of course. :D While I am not a software guy I have learned a thing or two from running this site for 10+ years. ;)

Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

- darren

ps: oh, and Barry, no nude hiking pix anytime soon. I'm pretty good at convincing people to do things, but I doubt I could convince the ladies of VFTT to drop their laundry. :p

- click here to see the photo gallery -

Just a note to let people know that I updated the photo gallery. I added some photos to each of the four sections. The new photos have links from the slide shows to large images that show detail. I will go back and add large watermarked images to the old images as soon as I get time.

The "click here for info" links bring up size and price info. I have added bigger sizes for some of the photos. I have been making large prints and I have been getting tack sharp results on prints up to 16"x24". I have also started getting 20"x30" prints made on canvas. The results looks like oil paintings, which I really like, and they have been getting rave reviews from friends and family.

So if you want to help support this site and are interested in getting a photo, drop me an email.

Thanks!

- darren

As if you were lacking for input...

Hey,

Great shots. I was looking for even higher-res close-ups as I peered at, for instance, "Washington Sunset," thinking it would probably pay for itself in sales. What if you let us view 'em right down to the pixel; what do you think would happen then?

In any event, you should feel good about the kudos you get. Your creativity has an actual transmission and tires! Most have only the engine (if that) and no way to get the power across. You've found yourself a real vehicle here. Congratulations!

--Mike.

--M. said:
Hey,
Great shots. I was looking for even higher-res close-ups as I peered at, for instance, "Washington Sunset," thinking it would probably pay for itself in sales. What if you let us view 'em right down to the pixel; what do you think would happen then?
--Mike.
I think he tried that and some people went ahead and printed the pictures at home instead of ordering them. :rolleyes:
I just ordered 2. I understand the quality is excellent, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.
It's a small way to show my appreciation for what Darren is doing here.

donations?

I, too, think that these are great photos. But I am not in the market for one. Your thoughts on the calender were the same as mine; although I hadn't done the reasearch, it seemed like it would be a tough way to make money.

I was thinking that if you had a link somewhere to a page where you can make donations via paypal a lot of people would probably chip in a few bucks. I have donated to other sites that way. I don't think it's tacky to have a small link for "donate" in the main menu at the top.

I took a quick look and didn't see anything like that. My apologies if I just didn't look hard enough.

Chip......I'm sure you will enjoy them too. I have a couple of matted shots...The photos and the mat work are exceptional....
....Jade

Another plug for Darren's photos ......

Last summer, Darren had posted several shots that he took while kayaking with Carmel. One shot really caught my eye, especially the way the colors blended together like home-made ice cream. I PMed Darren asking if it were possible to buy a print of that shot. He responded that he wasn't sure as the ISO settings were not at the preferred settings, but he'd check it out and get back to me. Fortunately, as it turns out, the picture looked great when enlarged, so he asked if I still wanted to buy it. I did. Fast forward to Christmas Day, 2005. House full of family and friends. Nearly every wall has either a mountain painting, Thomas Kinkaide, or one of my photos. Which picture got all the attention? Certainly not mine. :eek: Not even the Kinkaide got more than a brief glance. Everyone, and I mean everyone, noticed Darren's photo and commented on how nice it was. My cousin is a semi-professional photog and she praised the beautiful colors and the perfect composition.

Worth every penny. Thanks again Darren.

Rob

Last edited:
Darren, I'm going to be buying something someday, but as I just bought an overpriced house in an insane market, my finances are a bit low, but I didn't forget! Perhaps it might be on my birthday list...

Right now, all my money is going into house repair and home improvement, (not saying that a picture of yours wont improve my home :) )

Jay

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I appreciate it. It is pretty cool for me to know that my photos are hanging in people's houses all over New England. I even have some on the West coast and two in England. :)

As for the hi-res images, so far I have only put up hi-res images of the newest shots (the ones at the bottom of each section). This is an example:

Franconia Ridge - South

Click on the picture in the slide show to see the big image. I have not posted hi-res images of the older shots yet, but I plan on doing it soon. The Mt. Washington Sunset shot will certainly get a hi-res image. It is one of my best sellers. I also plan on getting that shot printed on canvas. It should look great because it already looks like a painting.

As for smaller donations, I really don't like to just stick my hand out. I like being able to offer the photos (plus I am trying to work on my photography 'exposure' anyway). I understand that the price of the photos is certainly higher than most people would want to donate. (after working on matting and framing photos for a while, I now know why art at galleries and frame shops cost so much). So for smaller donations, checks are fine or paypal to my email address is ok too, but I honestly really just do not like to stick my hand out.

Thanks again for all the positive reviews.

- darren

ps: for those of you that can not wait, here is a larger copy of the Mt. Washington Sunset shot.

Darren

Your photos are beautiful. Do you print out the photos yourself and if so, what kind of printer are you using?

Hikingmom

hikingmom said:
Darren

Your photos are beautiful. Do you print out the photos yourself and if so, what kind of printer are you using?

Hikingmom

I do not do any printing myself. I send my stuff out to get printed. The photos are actual photo prints on Fuji paper, they are not inkjet prints.

The prints on canvas are done on a special big inkjet printer. The inks are archival and the print on canvas is covered with a clear UV protective spray so it can be displayed, like a painting, without glass.

Glad you like them.

- darren

Darren, what size(s) are the prints available in? I've seen several of your prints and they are beatutiful but wondered if it is possible to enlarge them.