Photo Gear - Packing it In

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
I thought that a thread devoted to what camera gear people carry and how would be useful - please share your solutions and ideas here.

Although I frequently head out with just a small DSLR and one lens in a zippered pouch, particularly in winter, here is what I would typically pack if I was headed out for a long photo-dayhike (non-camera gear isn't shown). Just as a reality check, I realize this is much more photo gear than most people have or are going to carry.

The pack is LowePro's Photo Trekker AW (all-weather). I have used this series for a number of years and am quite happy with the line. The pack is panel loading, with an interior made of padded velcro-tabbed sections that can be customized for your gear. It has an well designed exterior tripod carrying rig with a reinforced "foot" that secures the tripod feet, which is centered on the back panel, sized for tripods that collapse to about 20". The AW refers to a lightweight and effective storm cover that tucks away in an external tuck-pocket on the bottom of the pack. The suspension is pretty comfortable with up to 30 lbs., and also tucks away for air travel. Best of all, the pack is sized as an airline carry-on, although you will still have to kick and scream to convince unwitting airline personnel that such is the case.

Here's an external view:
BackOfPackWithText2.jpg

And inside:
PackInnardsWithText2.jpg

Three lenses ( 10-22, 24-105,70-210) along with a 1.4x converter for the 70-210 covers everything from 10mm-470mm if I use both camera bodies. Using the 70-210mm on the XT gives me the equivalent ("crop factor") of a 110-335mm - adding the 1.4x converter to this works out to a 470mm F5.6 lens on the long end.

Tim - since you are the site's only pro photographer (are there others?), I'm glad to see you on here. Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to get one of those phto specific backpacks, but I haven't yet. I actually expect to get one next month though. I like the idea of some of the new ones that have a specific place for the laptop to go. It will make flying with my gear much easier.

So far on the trail, I carry a normal backpack that is sized for a dayhike or a backpack. I have a Lowe Pro Top Load Zoom 1 camera bag:

98456.jpg

I take the shoulder stap off of the TLZ1. The back of the TLZ1 has a belt loop on it and I feed my waist strap from my backpack through the TLZ1 belt loop. The TLZ1 is then on my hip and provides easy access.

It doesn't take long to find out that the camera bag on the waist belt slides to the front and then it will bounce up and down and smack you in the family jewels. So I put a carabiner on the plastic loop that the TLZ1 shoulder strap normally clips onto and then clip the carabiner to a strap on the side of my backpack. That serves two purposes: 1) it protects the family jewels, and 2) if I forget about the camera bag and undo my waist strap to take my backpack off, the carabiner keeps the camera bag from falling off and onto the ground.

Here is a shot of it in action:

http://www.vftt.org/potn/7511-camerabag.jpg

In this photo you can sort of see the carabiner holding the bag on my side:

http://www.vftt.org/potn/7467-carabiner.jpg

The TLZ will hold my Canon 20D dSLR with a lens (up to about a 5" lens) and a couple of filters in the front pouch. I usually put my circular polarizer filters in there.

I really like having my camera easily accessible like that. It is right on my hip and I can grab it in no time. I find that I take a lot more photos than I used to when my camera was buried in a backpack.

My main backpack will carry the rest of my gear. The rest of my photo gear will depending on the goal of the hike. If the goal of the hike is to take photos, then I will carry an assortment of lenses:

10-22mm f4.5
24mm f2.8
75-300mm - if I go light
100-400mm IS L - if I go heavy
50mm f1.8
100mm f2.8 macro

28-80mm (crappy zoom that I hardly ever use anymore that I hope to replace with the 24-105mm f4 IS L soon)

Cokin P filter holder and adapter rings

Graduated Nuetral Density filters

Depending on the length of the hike I will carry either a medium size lightweight SLIK tripod with a 3 way head or my heavy duty Manfrotto 3221 tripod with a heavy duty ball head. The ball head is awesome. The tripod goes on the side of the pack.

My lenses go in Outdoor Research water bottle insulators:

33415_m.jpg

I put 1 or 2 lenses in each insulator and shove them in my main backpack. It is a little slow pulling them out of the main backpack when it is time to change lenses, that is why I would like to get a photo specific pack.

I'm looking at the Tamrac Adventure 9, but it doesn't look like it has any straps for a tripod. w7xman - can you comment?

- darren

Here's another little trick:
I replaced the two-inch-wide rubberized neck strap on my SLR with a shoestring (round in cross-section, from a sneaker). This has a couple of advantages:
1) I don't sweat so much when I keep the strap around my neck. This makes it bearable to keep the strap around my neck even when the camera is in its case -- saving a second or so when whipping out the camera and putting it back.
2) When I do put the strap inside the case, I save about half an inch of room compared to a standard strap - meaning I can fit a slightly longer lens in a standard dropnose case.

(I wear the case on a shoulder strap, not attached to my backpack. I don't want to crush the camera when setting down my pack.)

Note: my SLR is a Digital Rebel, one of the lightest ones. My lens is light too. Consider doing a load test on your shoestring before going out into the field.

I've been using the Lowepro Rover Plus AW

What I like about this pack is that it has places for the Lowe Slip Lock accessories to attach to it. I use the Loewpro Topload Zoom with Sliplock attachement so the camera is easily accessible.

With the camera at my side there is plenty of room for lenses and other camera accessories in the bottom of the pack. There is not a ton of room in the top compartment, but with the bungee system for the tripod, you can stuff a fleece jactet in there also.

I use the Tamrac Adventure series pack.

I use it because the top section can fit lunch, gear for day hikes, and also the top section folds down and it easily fits into my larger pack. Yes, I carry two packs, so I can keep my gear organized, and slackpack from camp with all my gear.

As for my camera gear when I hike.

I carry my DSLR with my Sigma wide tele zoom (18-200) It's not the fastest or sharpest lens, but it is light, compact and flexable. I also carry my 50mm macro, which allows all kind of shots. I also ALWAYs carry my tripod, sometimes strapped to my pack, sometimes used as a heavy walking stick.

I also carry my full range of filters...but they don't add much weight!