Photo Project / Assignment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorites so far …

Post #9 by Chip – image #2, Guide on Mt. Ranier. This well illustrates that sky is not the only feasible backdrop for a silhouette. Also, there is some storytelling quality to thephoto, which elevates it from being a mere “graphics” exercise.

Post #11 by Taconic – Sunset with trees is a common scene and perhaps even a cliché, but a very well done example. The cropping for a strong horizontal composition makes this picture.

#13 by hardyb – “Descending Monadnock” has very nice body gestures, making the picture both authentic and dynamic as a storyteller.

#15 posted by Michael J, with photo by Dave Metsky – This is just a very nice example of a classic outdoor silhouette.

#17 by Nartreb – image #2, hiker with dog not only is a good silhouette example but has strong storytelling quality as well. It is one of my very top picks.

#18 by Darren – All three images. #1, the Mt. Adams hikers is dynamic, with great body postures and strong storytelling quality. #2, the fisherman is just something I relate to emotionally and personally. #3, the elk, is a cliché, for sure, but a very good example of one. Nice composition.

#21 by erugs – linked image. Despite the blown-out highlight of the sun, this shot appeals to me. I especially like the rim lighting on the one hiker’s head.

A word about clichés: The reason things become clichés is that when fresh and original they are recognized as good, and worthy of imitation. So they become commonplace, and in many cases, trite. Nonetheless, good examples of clichés are not to be scorned or rejected out of hand just because we’ve seen something like them before. They still deserve consideration, and we ought to free our own minds to evaluate them on an individual basis.

G.

Thanks, Grumpy. It's just a point and shoot camera with no software changes. I get what I get. When I took the picture, I was just hoping for my friend Jerry to be alone on the peak. It was his birthday, so I was thinking of it as a celebration of many good years (75+). (It's Jerry with the "halo" you like.) But this stranger came up stood next to him and wouldn't leave. So I finally snapped the photo and actually like it better than I would have otherwise. Strange how that happens.

Last edited:
Sure, but sunsets? How about something more creative and challenging than probably the #1 cliched subject matter?

Bob, for your benefit, I've copy/pasted post #8 here:

Shoot anything in silhouette. Skier, biker, hiker, summit sign, grizzly bear, cairn. Whatever, it's your choice. Nice silhouette tips here.
Homework due by the end of the month. Early submissions always welcome.

So as you can see, the assignment is silhouette, not sunsets. The fact that some people used a sunset sky as the background of the silhouetted subject is either coincidental or a specific choice on their part. Some used sunset sky, some used snow-covered mountains and ridges, one person even used the walls of a slot canyon as a silhouette against another part of the slot canyon wall as the background (really nice exposure, PG!). Lots of background choices were used, including some pretty sunsets.

The general goal of this thread (hopefully the first of many) is for us to experiment with and explore different photographic techniques. In the process we'll have some fun and learn something new, or maybe improve upon something we already know. Not all the assignments will appeal to everyone. This assignment evidently doesn't send a thrill up your leg. Hang in there, buddy. Maybe the next one will be more to your liking. Keep in mind, though, if the assignments are too creative and too challenging, then we run the risk of very limited participation. The idea is for lots of people to participate, learn, and have some fun.

A few from my archives. While some are not textbook silhouettes, they're close.

Sunset, Turks & Caicos
4346214513_3d8606c55f_b.jpg

Hoodoo & Tree, Bryce Canyon
4195499528_11a02de078_b.jpg

Mt Monroe under summer sky
3153133601_40db037757_b.jpg

Hiker and Clouds
2938972954_8b3f9bfebd_b.jpg

Waiting for sunrise, Cadillac Mtn.
2938075541_5f41c3dac3_b.jpg

Hiker and clouds 2
4332123423_331042bba4_b.jpg

Building Artist, Haight St, SanFrancisco
4346202149_dd7b8fd11c_b.jpg

Sunset, Frenchman Bay, Bar Harbor
4346208589_8e63714211_b.jpg

JohnL

erugs, pretty photo. You got a two-fer. You got the silhouette of the hikers against the sky, and you also got the silhouette of Jerry's head against his own halo.

After reading your description of the photo, I went back and looked at it again, and it appears as if the other hiker is waiting (impatiently?) so he can stand on the very tipetty top of the mountain, or else it won't "count".

I think you might be right about the other hiker being impatient to stand where Jerry was. Whenever I look at I want to say, "Get out of his personal space." Even if they were friends, they would have been a little close together. But being strangers, well, elbow room, please.

I also like the way the crack in the rock to the right of the two hikers shows up.

John L, "hiker and clouds 1" is beautiful. The texture of the snow in the foreground is awesome.

Here is a partial silouette of a rusting ship taken along the Straits of Magellan, Patagonia. I experimented with a sepia tone effect.
IMG_2004.JPG

Thanks, WW, there are many fine shots up here. I had to zip the contrast to make it a true silhouette, because there was some detail in the rocks.

Another Bryce image from last year:

2583522150071072332S600x600Q85.jpg

There are some beautiful photos on this thread!

Here is one from a traverse of the Moats, December 2008. My friends were just ahead of me as they topped out on North Moat and the sun was behind them. Luckily I already had my camera out.

p533149488-4.jpg

Blaze - I really like your Moats shot. The sharpness of the silhouettes and the detail on the snow, the simplicity of the scene in contrast to the cold you know is there.

I echo the kudos for your image, Blaze. Very nice composition and mood. Cropping is a little tight but still very pleasing. Nice job!

JohnL