Photoshop- the right amount or too much

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I might try going back to the original and playing with the density scale adjustment. I've never worked with that before.
In contrast to you, I rarely play with the color saturation, mostly just with the (global) density scale and sharpening.

The dog has some contrast with its surround so the density scale alterations were able to increase the contrast. However, it does change the mood a bit by lessening the "foggy day" feeling, but not enough to trip my "overprocessed" detectors...

The sharpening also helps to distinguish the dog from the background and bring its features out. (The original also has a slight blurriness which is removed by the sharpening. This also brings out features on the rocks.)

Doug

I really do not like when people mess with colors or contrast. I really don't like filters (either on camera or digitally)....

I would think that there would be a pretty short list of professional photographers who did not use filters or other devices in their toolkit in which they enhanced their images. As mentioned previously, Ansel Adams was a master not only under the hood of his large format camera but in the darkroom as well. His books are full of examples of how he dodged and burned relentlessly until he got the recipe just right for ‘developing’ his prints. And it did not stop there. His choice of film, film developer, print paper, print developer, camera filters, enlarger filters all were part of the recipe that he created to give him the image, not of what his eyes ‘saw’ but of his ‘visualization’ (Adams’ term) of the scene. Many of the other early ‘master’ photographers and contemporary top photographers (insert lots of names here) all used filters and various film, paper and developer options, and recently the advent of digital editing systems, depending upon their image requirements. The great photographer Vittorio Sella even went as far as to draw human figures by hand with a grease pencil on one of his famous panorama images near K2.

I’m not begrudging you at all in your choices and beliefs. It’s a personal choice and I respect that. So when does a photographer go too far? I think that’s the same argument as how much risk would you take when you hike/climb or what level of danger would you subject your children to or how much do you carry in your backpack or do you use hiking poles in the summer? They are all personal choice questions and they all have a different answer depending upon who you ask. One person’s “too far” is another person’s “just right”. Kinda like the Goldilocks thing, you know?

Then there is the discussion on what the eye sees versus what the camera sees. How many times have you said or heard someone say “This picture didn’t come out right. It didn’t take it the way I saw it.” Guess what; the camera will rarely ever ‘see’ what you ‘saw’. Your eyes have the ability to see into shadows on a bright sunny day while still seeing clearly into the bright areas of a scene. The optical parts of our brain have a higher dynamic range than our cameras do. Our brain can fill in gaps of what you cannot fully recognize visually. Our brain can accentuate some features/colors and play down others. Our brains add emotional content to the image which a camera cannot do. For SLR camera users, the camera doesn’t always see what we think it is seeing because more times than not, we are taking a photo whose aperture setting is ‘stopped down’ from the ‘wide open’ setting that you are seeing through the lens.

Creating a photographic image is an artistic process and it doesn't stop when you press the shutter button. The camera is just another tool in your toolkit that is used in the overall process. How much you want to use those other tools is up to you. Again, it's about personal choices.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer when it comes to art. But remember, photographers have been altering their images since photography was invented. Just because it's digital, doesn't mean it's new!

JohnL

My pictures are mostly for my own viewing pleasure so I re-work the ones that I think are worth it until I like the result.

Levels, sharpening, contrast, color saturation, cropping, you name it it's all good if you like the result. Pretty hard to say when it's been overdone. I think I know when to back off. Sometimes I like to go way overboard with something just for fun.

This picture has been extensively photoshopped. If you saw the original you wouldn't believe it.

For this one I selected the cliffs, put them in B&W and sharpened them just a bit.

John, all photography is art. I was mostly thinking about when images are so photoshopped that they are distracting.

A careful reading of the OP indicates to me that JohnL's posts are pretty much right on the money as far as a response to an OP goes.

Ie.

Thought I'd ask the outdoor photography folks for their opinions.

Sometimes photoshopping photography is necessary to 'rescue' an otherwise spectacular or special photograph. But when does altering photos cross the line from photgraphy to art?

Some coffee table books and posters of natural scenes are too overcooked to be believable yet they are portrayed as nature shots.

Like this one :)

Some coffee table books and posters of natural scenes are too overcooked to be believable yet they are portrayed as nature shots.
Whenever I see the Moon in a photo, I usually shout fake! The Moon is so small with a normal lens, that it usually takes up just a few pixels. And a wide angle shot of a mountain range with a huge Moon in it is most likely a combo of 2 shots.

Having tried and failed most of the time to get such a shot helps you spot fakes.

One effect that is totally overdone is slowing the shutter speed in pics of flowing water. No photoshop required but too artsy IMO.

In my camera (Canon G10) I can "enhance" my pictures in a lot of ways prior to pressing the button.

I think it all boils down to good taste and opinion.

Whenever I see the Moon in a photo, I usually shout fake! The Moon is so small with a normal lens, that it usually takes up just a few pixels. And a wide angle shot of a mountain range with a huge Moon in it is most likely a combo of 2 shots.

Having tried and failed most of the time to get such a shot helps you spot fakes.
Another fake :) :
moon-0649-lz.jpg

The size of the moon in an image is entirely dependent upon the lens eFL. 470mm in the above. ~2000mm fills the entire frame.

Doug

Doesn't photoshop come with an "insert moon" button?

Good taste? Jeesh, now you’re bringing in another place where we have to draw another line in the sand. It’s tough enough to figure out all this artsy stuff. I’m gonna bypass that one.

Okay, let’s talk about distraction. I would call this photograph distracting
4904582310_869e6db7a4_m.jpg

but I would not call this one distracting
5970482792_a9579f2f6f_m.jpg

even though the latter was most likely “processed” more. However, I would call this image overcooked

which is probably what peakbagr meant by distracting. So I’ll assume that we agree in principle what is meant by distracting and overcooked in extreme cases but the borderline cases between done and overdone will be a personal taste situation. I’ve seen some photos on VFTT that I thought might be oversaturated but then again, I did not see the original photo nor did I see the original light. I’ve seen some light, particularly at sunrise, sunset or low light streaming through clouds after a storm, that are otherworldly and do not look natural. So I give the benefit of the doubt when looking at some images of ‘dubious’ light.

I just wanted to comment on Neil’s comment about slow shutter speed flowing water photos being overdone and too artsy. If you look at very old (pre-1900)photos which include flowing water, you’ll notice that all flowing water was smooth and artsy. The technology of photographic equipment and emulsions were such that it was all you could get. There was no such thing as fast film or fast shutter speeds. It makes me wonder when the technologies did advance, was there a dissenting opinion that said that stopped action water was too artsy? Just wondering.

Here are a few photos for discussion. Do you think they are unnatural, overdone or distracting? Thanks.
5840377835_d6229994e6_m.jpg
4541488591_b6a594bc28_m.jpg

JohnL