Pierce-Jackson Loop and Hale Double Hit & Run, 10/18/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 18, 2013: Pierce – Jackson Loop & Hale

Trails:
Pierce-Jackson: Crawford Path, Webster Cliff Trail, Webster-Jackson Trail
Hale: Hale Brook Trail

Summits: Pierce, Jackson, Hale

Hikers: Solo

Pierce & Jackson Loop

After seeing a very nice improvement in the forecast on Thursday, my final plan for Friday was a triple starting with a Pierce & Jackson Loop, and then heading to Hale, and finishing the day on Cannon. The alarm was set for a very early wake-up. After the alarm went off, the second thing I did was to check the weather. I found the forecast was changed back to a later transition from rain to dry conditions, and according to current observations it was still raining in the area. I reset the alarm for a couple more hours sleep knowing it would mean one less peak.

On the second wake-up I checked the forecast and conditions; it was still raining but the transition was unchanged. I got ready, tossed my things into the truck, and headed north for the abbreviated plan.

First targets were Pierce and Jackson. I hiked from The Highland Center. When I arrived to the Highland Center there was no rain but the cloud cover was very low. There were no visible summits anywhere. I grabbed my pack and poles and started up Crawford Path.

There were wet leaves covering the trail but they didn’t seem to present a difficult footing condition. I was able to walk along at a normal pace without any problems with slipping, or tripping. Within a half mile I was up to temperature and stopped to remove a layer. Then, I settled into a very comfortable pace for the climb. A short distance below Mizpah Cutoff I made a quick stop and a couple other hikers came up from behind and passed. A short time later I approached a large group of young children and their two leaders. They were just finishing a break and continuing on their way. I passed them at Mizpah Cutoff as they stopped for some sort of lecture by one of the group leaders.

To this point the trail was generally clear and dry. From Mizpah Cutoff to the junction with Webster Cliff Trail there are some wet and muddy places but they are easy to get past. As I approached the treeline the wind seemed to increase significantly and I layered up again, this time including my rain jacket (it does a good job with the wind too). By the time I reached the trail junction with Webster Cliff Trail the forecast predicted broken clouds. The experts were a little more optimistic than they should have been. No views today and no sun (also in the forecast). Oh well, take what you get and make the most of it.

I made the turn, walked the short distance to the summit of Pierce, got a couple pictures and continued on my way. The wind and damp conditions made standing around for any amount of time very uncomfortable. A short distance below the summit of Pierce I was also starting to have a small problem with one of my hearing aids and wanted to stop to clear the sound tube. I decided Mizpah Hut was the best place for doing that job. I headed to the hut. This was the final weekend of operation before the winter closure.

I reached the hut and pulled out the package of cleaning probes that I had in my pack. After a few minutes I had both aids cleared and working as they should. I still had more in my plans for the day and didn’t hang around. I grabbed my things and headed for Jackson.

The short walk from the hut to Jackson includes quite a bit of water and mud. The small mud pits all generally have a few high places where you can rock-hop your way past. I managed to make it to the final climb to the summit in reasonably clean and dry condition. I was a little concerned about the climb to the summit, especially with wet slabs. As it turned out, the footing was good and I had no trouble at all with the climb.

When I reached the summit the large group that I passed earlier was already there. They were apparently preparing to start their exit hike as well. I decided being in front of them was probably a good place to be. I got my summit pictures, a couple view shots (the clouds were hanging just above Mizpah Hut), and made a move for the exit. The large group hesitated at the top of the slabs long enough for me to slip past and I was gone. For a short distance I could hear the sounds of children having a great time but then it was soon quiet.

Descending the wet slabs from the summit of Jackson was better than I expected. I was careful and moved slowly. Eventually, I was below the difficult terrain and headed for Crawford Notch. On the way down I met one other person; a volunteer taking care of trail maintenance – clearing waterbars, etc. We actually saw each other a couple times on the way down to the trailhead with him arriving ahead of me. I reached the trailhead, completed the short road walk to The Highland Center, tossed my things into the truck, and took off for Zealand Road and my next target; Mount Hale.

Mount Hale

It’s a very short drive between trailheads and I knew a second warm-up would not be needed. I had some refreshment on the way and was soon at the trailhead for Hale Brook Trail. Usually, I start Hale cold and it takes a while to get warmed up. That wasn’t the case on this one. I simply grabbed my pack and started in with a slow and steady pace from the beginning. If I can take a steady pace and not need multiple stops to get my heart rate back in-line I have found my overall performance on the climb is better. I learned this lesson from my friend Peakbagger (aka Dennis) and it was a valuable lesson for sure. I’m able to go a lot longer between stops and the needed stops are usually much shorter.

Hale is a relatively small hike but it’s kicking you all the way to the summit. There is a very nice section of switchbacks that make the upper elevation of the hike much easier. After the final switchback the trail makes a long sweeping approach to the summit clearing and includes a couple steep pitches. As I made my way to the summit I also climbed back into the wind that I found on the summits of Pierce and Jackson. There are no views, not even from the top of the big cairn, and no reason to hang around. I made the u-turn and headed for the truck.

A little over three hours after leaving the trailhead I was back and tossing my things into the back of the truck. That’s it for the day. At this point I generally know what I can do. I knew from the start that I wouldn’t be able to also hike Cannon because of the lost time and late start in the morning. I’ll plan to tie it together with something else.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Last edited: