Pine Island/Pack Saddle Hike 1-1-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
In keeping with an established hiking tradition, several of us spent New Years Eve in the Catskills. Our original plan was to camp overnight at Sundown Campground. After consulting the weather conditions which detailed high winds and low temperatures, we decided to stay at the Cobblestone Motel in Phoenicia.
We gathered next morning at the Spruceton Rd./Route 6 intersection. A large group assembled: Snickers, Hoosier, STP98, Wmschirmer, Jay, halia and flammeus, Greg and Bob. Our goal was two Highest Hundred peaks, Pine Island and Pack Saddle-#100 and 101 for me. We left cars at the Spruceton Rd. DEC parking area and took three trucks loaded with our gear to the trailhead. Most of us made the decision to wear snowshoes, but, before the end of the day, switched to microspikes or bare-booted. Temps were chilly as we began our hiking day - someone’s thermometer registered 1 degree, but all of us were appropriately layered so we were comfortable. (I DO love those Dachstein wool mittens!)
After a steep climb through mostly open woods to the Pine Island ridge, we negotiated some prickers and blowdown (so much easier in winter) to the summit. I let out my first “WOOHOO” of the day (borrowed from a Snickers tradition). We missed the woods road which would have taken us down to the col the easy way, but still managed to make quick time despite some more prickers and blow-down. The woods road up Pack Saddle was a delight. The sun was by this time illuminating the trees making crisp images against the snow and blue sky. Since my P&S camera had shut down in the cold, I could only compose the shots in my mind - very frustrating. A second “WOOHOO” occurred at the Pack Saddle summit. We decided to return to the col and follow the base of Pine Island around and down to the parked trucks. This was a short 5-mile loop but, given the frigid conditions, a sensible route.
Many thanks to you all for accompanying me on my 100 and 101 Catskill Highest Hundred peaks. You are all welcome to join me on my last #102 hike to Silver Hollow - perhaps the third or fourth weekend in February. I’ll post a more specific date soon.

My final finish date on SILVER HOLLOW will be SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21 with a possible weather reschedule to Sunday, Feb. 22. More details as we get closer. I'd love some company :D !!!!!

Tom and I wouldn't miss it for the world :)

And - thank you for posting the report on Pi/Ps - we had a lovely COLD day. Always fun to be out with the gang. A pleasure to meet the Bills, Bob, Greg; a pleasure to share the day with all our "old" friends too.

Are you already considering your next list??? :D

Are you already considering your next list??? :D

I'm glad you and Tom will be able to come along! Didn't I ask the same question of you???????

We are officially working towards completing 2 lists: W35, and every trail in the NYNJTC Catskill map set. We're in no particular hurry - I'm really trying to honor my resolution about doing "relaxed" hiking :D

Unofficially, we are considering creating some lists of own own. My contribution would be heading up AHP at least once each month in '09; Tom suggested a night-hiking list (at this point he's saying no night bushwacking... we'll see how long that lasts). We had an awful lot of fun on Halloween night, heading up Overlook.