Pitchoff, Sunday Dec. 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
ADK 4487 and I will be venturing out this Sunday for a winter warm-up hike and would like to invite others to join us. We will be spotting cars and traversing the Pitchoff ridge, meeting at the Cascade Trailhead Parking Lot on Hwy 73 at 8 am Sunday.

Pitchoff is one of the Adirondack Hundred Highest, and is described as a "bare ridge...exceptional views." The hike is 4.9 miles total, with an ascent of 1440 feet from the highway.

The current weather report is for temperatures in the 20's and mostly cloudy. I would definitely bring your crampons, just in case. I'll be bringing my snowshoes in the car, making a decision in the parking lot whether to pack them.

Please post here, or PM me if you are interested or have questions.

CM

Lyle,

We can't make it, but you guys will have a ball. Enjoy Pitchoff, its a great hike, make sure to have Ed show you "the cave". Your smart to bring the crampons, if I remember right, there are a few slots and chimneys to negotiate that would be tricky if it's icy.

Have Fun :D

Last edited:
Maybe!

Hi Lyle,

There is a slim chance I may be able to make it. I've done the Pitchoff ridge many times in Spring,Summer and fall but never in Winter conditions. It's one of my all time favourites.

I'll let you know for sure Saturday if I can make it.

-Phil :) :)

If I'm not kayaking that day, I may be there. If you see a guy with a beard near a little blue subaru, that means I'm in. I haven't done pitchoff yet, and I hear it's a great hike.

This could turn out to be a group outing! Crazymama, teejay, prino, hillman1 and myself. Bob (AlG) are you interested? Come join us. Meet at the Cascade parking lot on Sunday at 8:00. Time permitting I hear the call of the wild brewski calling.

I'm out--going kayaking on the salmon river in Pulaski NY. It might be the last day of the season so I need to get it in. Have fun!!

Hope you can make it teejay, but we'll understand if you don't.

I'm looking forward to finally getting some snow, but it certainly can complicate travel plans. We're getting freezing rain this morning, and I can hardly walk across the driveway.

Thanks for the invite, but I'll be hiking all day Saturday (Sawteeth), and will be meeting a friend that night (Sat.) in Satatoga Springs. Have fun! I'll be doing my first WINTER hike of the season on Wed. Dec. 29. - I haven't chosen the peak yet. Who's in? -Bob

Sorry!

I'm kind of dissapointed, but I've been reminded of a prior engagement that I'd conveniently forgotten ;) about, so will have to miss out on this trip.
I look forward to some winter hikes with you all though.
Four peaks I really want to do this Winter are.... Blake, Ester, Street and Nye so I'm sure we'll hook up some time.

I wish you a good trip, The weather will be great Sunday!!! With lot's of new snow to play in :eek: :eek:
It's quite neat that it's only a 5-10 minute drive but a 5 hour hike.

Have Fun

-Phil

Prino--sorry you can't make it this time. I'd be interested in Blake or Esther in winter. (Street and Nye were my first winter peaks, at -15 F, so don't feel the desire to them again this winter.)

Alg--today should be a nice day for Sawteeth!

Hillman1--Wow, you must be a diehard kayaker to be kayaking tomorrow...Enjoy!

Mavs00--good to hear from you. Yes it should be a fun hike!

We try to not use the word "die" in any way when kayaking in December :) ...it's really not that bad though. It's a class 2-3 river, and we all wear drysuits. I like to get on the water once every month(more in warmer weather).

Pitchoff Hike cancelled

If there were any lurkers out there planning to join us, we have decided to cancel out for tomorrow's hike of Pitchoff. I just got a message from ADK4487 who hiked Street/Nye today. He said that there was snow but it was a wet mess. It was such a mess that there was hardly any body out there in it...only 6 cars in the Loj parking lot. He's decided to head home, so I'm going to bail out too.

We'll wait for a better day.