Planning Ahead - Gaspe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Not quite New England, but has anyone hiked,or have info, on the Gaspe 3?? Northeast Highest. Then on to Labrador?

Seems like a hike just to get there.

I've been interested in the area for years--I'd love to visit the Chic-Chocs. Information in English seems pretty thin, though. I don't have any for you, but hopefully somebody will see this thread that does. :p

Opps. Problem with meter / foot convert. It's the Gaspe 2.

I eMailed the park and received some tourist material. They don't seem to have any hiking quality maps. From what I gather, there is a shuttle that takes you somewhat close to J Carter (a day hilke). Passe is near-by, but a bushwack? They dont like people going off-trail, so this is purplexing?

snowing

It's snowing here in the Gaspe as I write...we have hiked various portions of the Gaspe over the years, particulary Parc de la Gaspe and Parc Forillion...also some of Reserve faunique Matane.
I see some folks have sent you various links which should be good. the inter net connection is a bit "iffy" here for us, but we come back to the States tommorow.

You have choices also of hiking parts or paddling parts if you want to paddle portions of the St Lawrence "Bleue Route" for example.
We haven't been to Labordor yet but have been to Newfoundland where some of the trail continues etc.

So depending on your season wether your sking or hiking and what not it might help to keep in mind that there are "beacoup noir mouche" (sp?)..very many black flies.. in the interior (depending on the season) which is one reason people have settled along the St Lawrence..but then again there are lots of Mayflies in the states so it's not that unusall when you think of it...

Very pretty up here with friendly people...and any amount of french is always much appreciated. I think the SIA/IAT offers a little booklet for some hiking language that is also of help.
Bonne chance !

Last edited:
This is getting wierd. Different sources give different elevations of the Chic-Chocs. Now up to 4 4000 footers. In 2009, is there no hard standard?

And no guide book or map collection. Must work the Canada Map stuff to get the peaks. At least they are grouped together, but no interconnecting trails. Still wonder if there are 'official' trails on some of them.

It's true no bushwhacking in Parc de la Gaspsie, in Particular. It is the home of the most southern group of Caribou also they restrict the time of day access to Cartier.
Plenty of hiking info on the huts and tent platforms, but no guide book like we think of here in Nh for example.

The bushwhacking difference is somewhat like here in the States we can bushwhack in the National forest but not in A National Park (though I'm not completly sure about our park system.

So if you'll be hiking up there you will want to be doing your homework for sure....by the way seeing Caribou is very cool... but, of course, can't always guarantee that you see them

Last edited:
Does that mean that one can not summit de le Passe which sits next to Cartier? If you turn off the trail at the col between them, one can get to Passe, but it is not clear if an official trail exists from the col to the Passe summit. While it seems like this would be a nice above tree line ridge walk, if no official trail, it must be a bushwack, and therefor a no-no???

Anyone have any experience with peakbaging in Gaspe?

It's true you canot access the summit of de la Passe It is a nice a above tree line walk...for the Caribou.
Nice snow field on the back side of Cartier and usually one on the way up to Mont Albert usually well into July.

So it IS true!

Sounds like a stealth ascent is in order.

So it IS true!

Sounds like a stealth ascent is in order.

Guess your missing the point it's about the wildlife...

besides as people hike up the trail 1st thing they do is turn to look at that mountain to see if Caribou are up there...not looking to see some person up there which would actually be quite a bummer.