plastics + snowshoes = ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
What are your opinions on plastic boots and snowshoes?

What would your prefered footwear combinations be for the following scenario?
Ten days of winter camping where temps should be expected to as low as -10 or lower. Distance covered will be a minimum of 10 miles snowshoeing and pulling a sled. Terrain is basically flat through forest. Once camped there will be ice climbing (hence the plastic boots).

What boots/footwear would you bring for a trip like this? Would you bring a pair of boots to hike in, a pair to climb in, and a pair for camp? Or would you just bring one pair for everything?

This is a trip I will be going on later this winter. I have my own footwear system down- plastics for hiking and neos overboots w/booties for camp. I'm curious what others would bring based on their own assessment of their needs and what they are willing to carry. Just looking to see what the range of responses is.

Loved my plastics with snowshoes - they really transfer weight nicely to the snowshoe with less sideways tipping.

Multi-day, cold temps, ice climbing... sounds like plastics would actually be one of the better options and I wouldn't bother taking any other boots, just some down booties for camp in case you don't feel like wearing your plastic's booties.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Agreed - plastics all the way for me, with down booties in camp. I take the inners with me to sleep in the bag to keep them warm, and the solid plastic shells keep my feet dry when doing activities.

I especially like plastics with snowshoes because with leathers, between their shape and the snowshoe straps a lot of snow builds up on the toe, which then just slowly permeates cold and wet into my foot. The plastics are often too slippery for snow to even accumulate, and what does, doesn't get through to me.

My plastics and a pair of down booties. I do like the neos overboot option. My coworker wears sandals year round and has neos in the winter. Now if I could just convince him that he really, really needs a pedicure life would be grand.

If you are pulling the sled, whats a couple of extra pounds? If you like walking that distance with your plastics fine, if you loved wearing Sorels with snowshoes, you'd be okay too.

I find for hiking (more like waiting) in real cold temps my feet sometimes to get cold in plastics. It may be an aging circulation thing, nothing serious but they don't feel warm. If you are happy with plastics & your feet are okay, go with it.

I was thinking the same thing about the Sorels. Might be a good idea.

Personally, I hate plastics and couldn't imagine being in them for that long. My Salomon's are a leather approach boot that is also used for ice climbing. They satisfy the mix. However, around camp I do change into a similar combo that you do.

I think, unless I misread it, the options would be Sorels for approach, plastics for climbing....

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

(The Graduate, 1967)

I have rigid leather double mountaineering boots that work well for both snowshoeing and ice climbing. As long as your plastics are comfortable, I'd use them.

Doug

Mukluks

Since you will be using toboggans, weight should not be a problem. I suggest mukluks for the trail if they work well with your snowshoes, plastic boots for the climbing and Neo with felt liners for around camp.

On a flat snowshoing trip, in cold dry weather (say below 20F), I have not seen anything as warm and comfortable as traditional mukluks. Steger make a good one.

MadRiver said:
My coworker wears sandals year round and has neos in the winter.
Along those lines,Ugg has a lightweight warm option you could wear with your overboots.

"Perfect for a girls’ day at the spa, a honeymoon jaunt, a day ice climbing, or just feeling feminine at home."

For 10 days, your going to need a lot of other (as George Carlin calls) "stuff", so I wouldn't bother with any extra boots, hence weight/stuff. It is also a relatively short trip mileage wise, so I personally wouldn't bother with the extra weight/volume of an additional pair of boots (down booties don't count!).

Have a fun trip!

Vapor barrier socks

SB:
For an extended trip, consider adding vapor barrier socks to your arsenal. These will help keep your wool socks and liners dry. First, put on a pair of thin polypro or polyester liner socks, then the VBs, then your insulation sock. Remove the VBs and liner socks at night to prevent trench foot.
Ed

I would definitely bring another set of boots, if nothing else than for a backup. You may not be able to climb in them, but if the plastics separate or split (I have very few seen older ones do this, but it has still happened), you'll be SOL for the remainder of the trip. Besides, with a pulk, it's not like they'll create that much of a weight issue.

Snowshoeing in something a little lighter would also give your legs a reprieve form the weight of the plastics.

I'd also definitely also go for the VBL socks.