Platte Clove Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frytz

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Platte Clove Rd is physically closed (blocked off) after Nov 1, or is it just not maintained - use at your own risk!?

Fred

frytz said:
Can anyone tell me if Platte Clove Rd is physically closed (blocked off) after Nov 1, or is it just not maintained - use at your own risk?!
The date varies, but eventually they will place a large barrier at each end. Once it snows, DO NOT go down (or up) the road, even if it is not blocked! There are cars at the bottom of the gully that made this mistake! :eek:

Tom Rankin said:
The date varies, but eventually they will place a large barrier at each end. Once it snows, DO NOT go down (or up) the road, even if it is not blocked! There are cars at the bottom of the gully that made this mistake! :eek:
Yeah, I just went up it the other day.

For the North East, that road is kinda nutz. It's been a while since I had to down shift to 2nd gear while going up hill.

Avoid if icy.

-Dr. Wu

This weekend

Tom Rankin said:

I plan to use it this Sat (which is Nov 3). It was in fine shape today! There were no icy spots (or even wet spots) at 7:30 AM. It's certainly quicker than going by way of Tannersville!

Fred

Hey Fred, I think it might be Nov 15th...Hmmm.. In any case, I have gone down it in spring (after seeing others do it) and I found that even if the road is closed, it's only closed via a "sawhorse" that is easily gone around....

Jay

Dates

Jay H said:
Hey Fred, I think it might be Nov 15th...Hmmm.. In any case, I have gone down it in spring (after seeing others do it) and I found that even if the road is closed, it's only closed via a "sawhorse" that is easily gone around....

Jay

Signs say Nov 1 for Platte Clove Rd, Nov 15 for Roaring Kill Rd. Why the difference - I have no idea!

Fred

Had a scare there one time on opening day (April 1 or 15?)...NOT fun getting to that hairpin turn driving up and having a Fiat coming sliding down backwards heading right for you! :eek:
I've heard of three point turns, but I think that day I must have made a 30 point turn!

PS HI FRED! Thanks for stopping by!!! :)

Your right Alan, except my wife is the one who has a stroke on that road...Funny, it's my hair not hers, that's gray, white... all of the above. Just love seeing the sights while driving that road!

frytz said:
Signs say Nov 1 for Platte Clove Rd, Nov 15 for Roaring Kill Rd. Why the difference - I have no idea!
Fred is correct, the Platte Clove Road closure signs do read Nov 1. Last year the road remained open for most of November as Route 23A did not reopen until late on the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. Although the road was temporarily closed on several icy days during the extended period last year.

The highway crews might be a little more strict holding to the Nov 1 date this year. Although based on the forecast perhaps the road might remain drivable for some time. Mornings after a below freezing night will always be the highest time of risk. It doesn't take much frozen condensation or precipitation to make the road unsafe. If for some reason the road is closed you could take Manorville Road up to Palenville. It intersects the Platte Clove Road just west of a bridge over the Plattekill Creek. It runs parallel to the base of the escarpment and has some nice views towards the mountains from several open fields and meadows.

The Roaring Kill Road does not have any steep hills so it can generally remain open until the first significant snowfall. That closure is only for the section of the road west of the Roaring Kill trailhead to Mink Hollow Road. The road into the trailhead parking area is plowed from Dale Lane.

Driving after the road closures is "at your own risk". That also means your insurance company may not cover any damages or injuries should an accident occur while the road is officially closed. Interesting that this thread is running at the same time as the "When I Die...." thread. I have driven up and down the Platte Clove Road about 20 times per year for the last 33 years. I have often mused whether I will meet my end there. But more likely my end will result from getting too close to the edge of some cliff in the Gunks, or from photographing at the top of some waterfall in the Catskills.

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
Joanne managed to turn Dick's hair white this summer while looking out at the scenery while driving up PCR and another car coming down at us. :eek:

And a couple of hours later that same day, someone lost their life in a motorcycle accident.

I didn't think Platte Clove Road was that bad at all (as a passenger).

Of course, as a driver I didn't think anything of Flagstaff Rd or Gross Dam Rd in Boulder, nor of Independence Pass (unlike my passenger, who greatly disliked all three).

MichaelJ said:

Of course, as a driver I didn't think anything of Flagstaff Rd or Gross Dam Rd in Boulder, nor of Independence Pass (unlike my passenger, who greatly disliked all three).
Well I drove up the side of the Empire State Building once! All the way to the top! Wasn't bad at all! And I was in my Saturn!! :eek: Same car I drove up to the summit of Denali and Everest with. No big deal!

-Dr. Wu

The big difference, of course, being that I actually drove the roads mentioned in my post.

So what I wanted to know is ... what do other people think about Platte Clove Road *as compared to other roads*. Sure, you can say it's scary or unnerving, but relative to what? I found it over-hyped. Did anyone else?

MichaelJ said:

Platte Clove wasn't bad at all (Alan exaggerates! :D). We used to live in Boulder, Colorado, and drove Flagstaff Rd. regularly, and also roads above treeline. Much more unnerving was crossing a "bridge" (planks) on Shin Creek Road in Catskills!

Dick

MichaelJ said:
The big difference, of course, being that I actually drove the roads mentioned in my post.

So what I wanted to know is ... what do other people think about Platte Clove Road *as compared to other roads*. Sure, you can say it's scary or unnerving, but relative to what? I found it over-hyped. Did anyone else?
It's not bad for the Northeast.

I have driven on worse roads outside the Northeast -- a road simply called 612 in Europe comes to mind. However, I still wouldn't want to be on Platte Cove if it was icy.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
However, I still wouldn't want to be on Platte Cove if it was icy.
Exactly. It's fine when the weather is warm and sunny. But you can have an accident on the best highway when the conditions are really bad. This is one 'local' road I will not travel when the signs are up.

When it's dry and empty, it's not too bad.. I've been on scarier roads out west and in China... Heck, they used to race bicycles up the road back in the 80s. (tour du pont)....

The thing is when you're on Indian head, you can see cars go up and down it so you can see if the road is open and/or passable for the most part by looking for cars going down and the lack of any billowing smoke and/or fireball in the clove afterwards.

Jay

I think PCR is wonderful. As Dick points out, though, its still nothing in comparison to some of the tight, twisty, switchbacking roads in the Rockies with hundreds of feet of exposure 2' away and no guardrails. Driving there will get your attention.

I'll bet Dick did all the driving out there. :eek:

MichaelJ said:
(unlike my passenger, who greatly disliked all three).

So what if I was in the fetal position.....in the backseat.....screaming "you better not get me killed!" the whole time???

That's not to say I didn't *enjoy* the ride.... I look back now with utter fondness....:D