Please Help I Need Foliage Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need a foliage report. I am wondering if anyone lives near Franconia or has been up in the last few days. I have reservations for Oct. 1st (which is only 8 days away) but I am worried that it might be too soon because all the online foliage reports are saying that it is only 20% color right now. What can anyone tell me.

Thanks,

Looking out the window here in Intervale, it's mostly green. It can change fast, however.

Steve

I am slightly south and west of Franconia and some of the trees are just begining to turn higher up on the hills. With a possible frost tonight you should see some color next weekend. If not just keeping walking north!

Franconia is slow this year. The best color is probably the gold tamaracks on the higher hillsides around 3000'. The maple is my front yard is still mostly green. Relax, it will happen. Frost tonight and tomorrow night. And regardless of foliage color, the atmosphere is cool, crisp, invigorating.

The first website listed looks overly optimistic to me. Crystal, you'll be sure to see color regardless - just drive north from Franconia to hike if you don't think there's enough there.

Agree with Audrey...yesterday in King's Ravine and viewing to the north the only color were leaves on birch trees that had turned yellow. Certainly no reds and oranges yet. Still need more time unless you head even further north.

Just some slight colors up in the Mahoosucs, but plenty of leaves are on the ground and the patterns are nice.

A friend's house in Portland has the front yard covered in crackly brown maple leaves. I thoroughly enjoyed the sound walking through them!

Only slightly jesting here...... the foliage colors peak for the Fryeburg Fair, this year October 2 thru 9. Just bear in mind that a rainstorm, windstorm, or early snowfall can impact what is left on the trees. "Peak Color" and "% leaf drop" are always someone " else's" opinion.

I wouldn't worry that October 1st is "too soon", just come with the belief that what you'll see will be the best you'll see, and be determined to enjoy it.

" attitude is the difference between adventure and adversity"

Breeze