Plug for Acadia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
I'm coming to you live from a B&B in Camden ME, after just spending a few days in Bar Harbor and Acadia. This post is for those who have not yet been...drop what you're doing and go! Acadia is simply awesome! Sick paddling, great hiking, what more can you ask for? Plus the restaurants and towns are great. It's like if you combined all the perks of Portsmouth with a few mountains. Good times! I can't wait to go back. Bring the bike, kayak and hiking shoes and have fun.....

I'll second your praise for Bar Harbor and Acadia. It's my favorite place to vacation. The South Ridge Trail up Cadillac has ocean views on three sides. It's gorgeous! I put my road bike in the back of the car and bicycle around the island and up Cadillac. Ocean, mountains, bicycling, hiking, great food, what more could you ask for? I only wish it were closer! I'm headed there tomorrow.:)

Roxi

Glad you enjoyed it, truepatrtiot! It is indeed a special place. I can't wait to get up there again. I have two trips planned in October.

Gotta agree with truepatriot09. Acadia is a great spot. We're heading back up there in three weeks for 5 quiet days.

JohnL

I'm counting down the days until I get to Acadia in October. My fiance and I are spending the second half of our honeymoon there, and I've already planned about three dozen hikes, even though we'll only do a fraction of them.

It's been posted before, but if anyone is looking for a nice, cheap place to stay while visiting, I highly recommend Rose Eden Cottages... thanks again, Sapblatt!

On the subject of Acadia,does anybody remember the short lived Southwest Harbor Kayak Festival? First year was wonderful!(2001?) We had about 60 kayaks fanned out on a semicircular beach in Somes Sound-what a sight!
As we(wife and I) were unloading our boats we discovered that we were being taped for a feature on a Portland TV station-way cool!
Unfortunately,the folks in SW Harbor couldn't get it together the next year and it was scrapped.
All I have now is the t-shirt and the memories. :)

Acadia

Ryan and I love Acadia! It's a wonderful place to hike and explore. The best the Maine coast has to offer, in our opinions. Speaking of that, we can't wait to head up there later this fall...

If you do go, and want to have a special dinner out, try Cafe This Way, which is in downtown Bar Harbor, right near the health food store. Yum! Just thinking about it makes me want to get in the car and go :)

-Danielle

I just got back from Acadia. Had perfect weather last week.
We camped at Quietside campgrounds - a small family run campground near SW Harbor.
We did some easy hiking (Acadia mountain and South Bubble), and some touristy stuff (drove the scenic loop road and up Cadillac mountain, went on a whale watch, took a sunset carriage ride up Day mountain). Had a great time.

If you guys really want to see Acadia...

You'll need to drive to Stonington, Maine and catch the mailboat to Duck Harbor on Isle Au Haut (pronounced Isle O Ho). One end of this very large island was donated to Acadia years ago and has incredible hiking, a cool but primative campground and the views from Duck Harbor Mountain are just incredible. If your camping make sure to bring all your supplies it's a long walk to the islands one store. You might even run into someone while your there but don't count on it. We stop there every year on our sailing vacation and will be there next Sat & Sunday hiking etc.. Isle Au Haut is the real Acadia and the only part of Acadia that you can really get away from it all! You can also Kayak there but it's about 10 miles off shore so if your not a very experienced sea kayaker take the mailboat!!

Anyone been in october? I went last year in mid-september. It was great. I want to go again this year, but some friends can't go in september.

I've had a lot of fun in Acadia. If you wish to get away from the crowds and do a day of biking, take the Swan's Island Ferry and take a bike ride around the island. The roads are uncrowded, the drivers are friendly (they wave), and you can bring a picnic lunch and eat at an old lighthouse.

I used to go to Acadia all the time, until I had an affair with another Maine spot and fell in love with Baxter State Park.

I'll be there this Sunday for 5 days with my family and friends family at Blackwoods....can't wait...doing lots of biking because my wife really can't hike (heart)...but after last weeks gathering in the DAKS I think my knees can use the rest..will do some hiking though...

coldfeet said:
I'll be there this Sunday for 5 days with my family and friends family at Blackwoods....can't wait...doing lots of biking because my wife really can't hike (heart)...but after last weeks gathering in the DAKS I think my knees can use the rest..will do some hiking though...
Last week I was there with my family. While they took most hikes with me (Beehive, Precipice, Bubbles) I had one they wouldn't go on, sunrise climb to Cadillac. I took the North Ridge Trail. After sunrise I went to Door, then descended via Gorge ravine. Except for the time on the summit I never saw a single other person. I even had sunrise to myself on the true summit, which is west of the tourist summit.

Have fun next week, you're going to love it.

Tony

P.S. the other thing people haven't mentioned is the rock climbing. Lots of options from bouldering next to the surf (Great Head is the place I hit while wlaking the loop trail) to multipitch climbs.

I'm here now...rained sun night, mon night, this morning and stopped,,,found internet cafe in bar harbor...checking out posts to see where to go...kids got loads of mosquito bites...wife angry with me :mad: clearing up...will go somewhere..bye...love this site!

tonycc said:
Last week I was there with my family. While they took most hikes with me (Beehive, Precipice, Bubbles) I had one they wouldn't go on, sunrise climb to Cadillac. I took the North Ridge Trail. After sunrise I went to Door, then descended via Gorge ravine. Except for the time on the summit I never saw a single other person. I even had sunrise to myself on the true summit, which is west of the tourist summit.

Tonycc, thanks for the info. I was there last week as well and avoided Cadillac because I assumed the crowds would all be there. We started out early Wed. for the hike of Penobscot and Sargent. We only saw a handful of people on the trip.