Podcast episode about the April 2019 avalanche fatality on Mt Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ear Drum

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Dear all, I just heard this today, a re-broadcast of an episode from last year. Outside/In (NHPR) ran it again today, as it won a Murrow Award for journalism -- the pod was reported and produced by Jessica Hunt.

It's about the death of Nick Benedix, in a skiing avalanche accident in the Raymond Cataract on April 11, 2019. This really is a good listen, with interesting facts, story, characters, and emotions. I learned a bit about first aid for people suffering from hypothermia, and about how protocols have changed in NH following this tragedy.

It's about a half-hour. Apologies if this has been shared before (such as when it was first broadcast), but my search here didn't yield any results.

After the Avalanche: rescue gone wrong — Outside/In

After the Avalanche: rescue gone wrong

AUGUST 31, 2023
On a bluebird day, in April of 2019, Snow Ranger Frank Carus set out to investigate a reported avalanche in the backcountry of Mt. Washington. He found a lone skier, buried several feet under the snow. He was severely hypothermic, but alive.
Wilderness EMTs can work for decades and never encounter this particular situation. And what happened next was an attempted rescue that people in Northern New England are still learning from.
What happens when a rescue goes wrong? And how do first responders cope when an opportunity to save someone’s life slips through their fingers?
Editor’s Note: This episode first aired in May of 2022.

Thanks! Just downloaded it to listen to later. While I avoid backpacking in snow/winter I do find learning through others errors or even just bad luck valuable.

Just listened to it, very well done. It gives you a few things to think about for sure. My takeaway, boy that poor guy had a lot of time under the snow to think, if he was awake.

Since he was severely hypothermic, he probably hadn't been capable for thinking/rational thought for some time, but even 15-20 minutes would seem like an enternity. What an awful tragedy.